Dimarzio Ultra User's, name your pre-amp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Im planning on Ultra-Jazz fives for my five string warmoth. I hear they give a nice classic jazz bass tone without the hum. If this a pretty accurate description?

I also have read that the ultra series are notoriously low output. So what pre-amps are you guys using with them?

Im thinking about which one I'd like to use, and the choices are Seymour Duncan basslines, EMG, Aguilar, bartolini.

Im most likely planning on a 3-band, but would like to hear what you guys have, or what you think would work best to get pretty much a great jazz bass tone out of those pickups.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love them with Chris Benavente's 3 band. If I put ultras in another maker's bass, I'd go with a Demeter 3 band (if I couldn't talk Chris into selling me one of his).

you can hear the ultras + benavente 3 band in my link below. I was strung with flats and have since switched to pressurewounds, the bass so alive, the flats seemed to hold it back. I'll have to record some more with the new strings.
  3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    The J-Retro is the best I've heard with the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz.
  4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I used Ultra Jazz pickups in the Urge bass seen at the link below. This guitar comes with a stock preamp and the combo sounds pretty darn great.

But, this is not the reason for my reply. I just wanted to share with you that I've had FANTASTIC results from using conductive guitar shielding paint (bought from stewmac.com). Completely coat the pick cavities, the control cavity and the tunnels connecting them (3+ coats). Screw a ground screw into the paint and connect to ground (if your pot cases don't already touch the paint) and you'll have a shield that will quiet any brand of pickups.

But yes, the Ultra Jazzes are still great. Very deep though (size, not tone). I've used them in two basses and the depth has prevented me from achieving desired distince from string to pickup. They sit too high. You may want to deepen the pickup cavities.