Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio UltraJazz DP149 Pickup Set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nspark, Feb 5, 2004.

1. For any of the UltraJazz users out there,

If you wouldn't mind explaining more about what the sound of the UltraJazz pickups (by themselves) are like, it would be much appreciated. I've been pondering (as I always do) what upgrades I could do to my MIA Jazz.

As vague and unclear as these descriptions are, I'm pretty sure that, on the whole, I like a more modern sound. I actually like a lot of sounds, but I definitely would like the versatility to go from a Marcus-style slap sound (I have a rosewood jazz :meh: ), to a punchy fingerstyle, to a deep bass sound. Sorry if these descriptions are pretty vague. Just not sure if the UltraJazz (despite many of the raves I hear here) are right for me.

I'm also a fan of the active versatility (part of my liking of a modern sound, I think), which is why I'm also being tempted by the J-Retro, but that's a whole 'nother idea.

As a side note, I'll probably be joining a jazz combo soon playing pretty much standard jazz-band type pieces and stuff. Wouldn't mind to bust out a bit of slap on my fretted when I mix things up from the upright.

I think I'm feeling around for upgrades so much because my birthday's coming up. haha Hoping I might be able to beg an UltraJazz set or a J-Retro out of my parents... Hoping. haha Thanks for any and all help, guys.

-Nick Park

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Well, after just replacing my microphonic pickups in my 75 RI Jazz with the UltraJazzes, I found out this:

The sound of the UJ are close to stock, with no hum. They have a much crisper high end and a more "focused" bottom end. They aren't going to drastically change the way your bass sounds by any means, but they will offer more "oomph" and "muwah". I like them, none the less. If you're going to get a J or U-Retro, then these pickups would be SUPER sweet.

I play finger-funk/slap and these pickups do very well for me in passive. I can only imagine what they sound like with a PRE!

Look for a guy on eBay selling the Ultra-Jazz set for $99, the guy Barry is super cool and ships FAST (tell him Tommy (ebay name SkeeterVR6 sent you)! I won the bid on a Friday and had the pickups on Tuesday.

If you want something hotter with a more "modern" sound, the Seymour Duncan bassline "hot-stack" seem to be the way to go there..Black Rose Customs is the place for those.

Hope this helps!

3. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey lonelyjazzbass,
    the informations you can find here around on the forum describe pretty well these pups!
    I have a set of them.... you have a PM.

Maurilio

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have the Ultrajazz p/u's in my MIM jazz bass. Much better than stock. Good lows, nice highs. A little scooped in the mid range, but they have a good modern sound.

Mine are hooked up to push pull volume pots. In parallel mode, very Fender-ish IMO. In series, very fat. When both pickups are on in series, it's almost sting ray-ish. Run the neck pickup soloed in series, very P bass like.

They are 100.00 bucks from bestbassgear.com. The push pulls were an additional 10 bucks for both. They are usually about 10 bucks a piece! Brian ships fast, and is excellent to deal with!

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well I know SMASH did a great J pickup review. I cant remember if he tested these but I think so. If you dont find all the info in his review you might want to shoot him a PM.

It sounds like you want a fairly bright sound.

I have a Jazz bass with EMG Vintage series Jass pickups and an Aguilar OPB1 preamp and its plenty bright. The EMG VJ pickups are totally different animals than the standard EMGs and the Aguilar is pretty sweet.

If youd like to play the bass and hear it yourself Id be glad to let you.

Peace
    Nick

6. RodBR

RodBR

Mar 1, 2012
    World
    I will put the set in my fender am dlx 99', I expect great sound with suhr preamp.