1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio Ultrajazz - polepieces not lined up with strings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Spider, May 5, 2010.

1. Spider

Spider

Aug 24, 2006
    Czech Republic
    A while ago I started my first 5 string build, gathering parts from e-bay, and basschat/talkbass. I finally made myself route holes for pickups and neck pocket. But hey, I was surprised that DiMarzio neck pickup is just slightly smaller then the bridge pup (normally the size difference seems more noticeable to me). Ok, no problem, I used my bridge pup template for both, but what a surprise - as I dry put all pieces together, the polepieces seem to be way out of the future string area. Did I missplaced the pups or just did something else wrong ?

[​IMG]

2. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    String spacing... 19mm, 18mm etc... Looks like you need to change your bridge...

3. pushifier

pushifier dB basses

Jan 8, 2009
    Netherlands
    Just adjust that Schaller 3d roller bridge. With these rollers you can get the alignment with the pu

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Knowing the spacing, taking into account neck width, and bridge spacing is always necessary in proper alignment.

Consider it a learning experience. With the Schaller, it should be correctable, unless you mis aligned the routs.

5. bassy7

bassy7

Jan 29, 2010
    I certiainly like the pole pieces to line up perfectly with the strings- but is is rare that I see such perfect alignment- even on higher priced basses. For my own basses I've tended to use non-exposed pole pieces (but I still align them for sensitivity reasons), blades or piezos.

Its hard to tell but from your pics it looks like the the middle of the outer pairs of mags line up with the edges of the Fboard. Some string spacing adjustments might do the trick. If not and it will really bother you, then you could consider using different pickups with better alignment, or use pickups with non exposed magents or blade type pickups.

If the alignment is good enough to provide stong even signals for all of the strings, then perhaps you could make some wooden pickup covers?

6. Spider

Spider

Aug 24, 2006
    Czech Republic
    Thanks for hints guys,

Well, this schaller is +/- 16mm spaced. Truth is I calculated it for 19mm bridge. I actually thought Schaller 3D is adjustable from 16 - 19mm, what a surprise when it arrived...still can change it. No way the routing is not done properly, I am certain about that, it is perfectly aligned.

Guess I will see how it looks when all is done, If I should be bothered then, I guess I will make wodden pup covers, change the bridge or pickups.

But the next build will be 4 string, that is for sure :)

Thanks for ideas, suggestions