DiMarzio UltraJazz vs. Fender Orig.62s/CS 60s

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndersK2, Nov 1, 2001.

1. AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    Has anybody compared DiMarzio UltraJazz and Fender Original '62s or Custom Shop '60s?

I have read the Bass Player Magazine shootout and searched the web, so I would like your opinon.

I have the UltraJazz pups on my MIM Jazz and am playing with the thought of a change.

2. I'm not a big fan of the CS 60's--they seem to lack clarity. On the other hand, I was really surprised with the Ultra Jazz pickups that came stock on my Modulus Genesis VJ. I didn't think I would like them, but they seem to be pretty good approximations of a vintage Jazz without the hum. I think to come even closer, you might want to try a set of Fralins.

Is there something specific you're trying to accomplish with the switch?
  3. AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    Well. better sound.. ha, ha.:D

I have just changed my strings to new and found that this gave me back, much of the things I missed I the sound. The metalic, hard character disappeard and the deep soft bottom came back. The strings were worn out!
    So I am rather content with my sound at the moment, but still curious if I could get an even better sound, aren´t we all?
    I want a real deep, soft, thumpy bottom with even mids and highs with some bite when I want it.
    I use D'Addario XL170s, because I like the lack of metalic sound in them.
    So it would be nice to hear if someone have compared these pups.
  4. Of course it's just my opinion, but I think that the UltraJazz do a better job of what you described than the CS 60's. I guess I just wasn't very impressed by those particular Fender pickups. On the other hand, when you mentioned your tonal "goal," I immediately thought Fralin.
  5. AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    Yeah, maybe I will stick to them for so long.
    Perhaps a J-Retro would be more useful...:)
  6. AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    By the way Funkycarnivore, have you tried the Fralins?
  7. Heh heh...I'm a big fan! My main recording bass was an American Standard Jazz with Fralins and it was incredible. I traded it away to get an Ashdown amp, which was a good move, but I still miss that bass. IMO, they are the best of the best. Lindy Fralin really knows what he's doing as far as the vintage thing.
  8. AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    FunkyC, I saw at your site the Ashdown gear.
    Do you think the Boxter would match a Mesa Diesel 1x15 ? The Mesa has a sensitivity of 103 dB.
    What I want to add is more volume, punch and clarity. And a small cab that is easier to carry than the Mesa. My amp is an ABM 300.
  9. The Boxter is an incredible cab; very efficient and loud and deep. I don't think they're making it anymore--at least not for the U.S.--so that could be a problem.