Dimarzio vs Bart

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chalie, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Hi Guys,

I am having one of my 5 strings bass make, a JB style, and they were offering me 2 different make pickups, both JJ, to choose. only these 2 choice !

One is Bart 95L and another is Dimarzio ultra jazz.

Please advice me which one would be more verstile in style of playing. and

Which one is more funky style.

Thanks for your thought.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Funk is a state of mind... it ain't a pick up :bassist:

I've got barts and ultras... both are great pickups. My barts are a bit darker then the ultras, the Dimarzio are more even toned.

but the barts are in a basswood bodied cheapy I defretted and the ultras are in a boutique custom mage from Swamp Ash and Maple...

so they both just reproduce the acoustic tone of the basses with very slight flavors of their own.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I much prefer the Model J's to the Ultra J's, but even so, my vote still goes to DiMarzio.
  4. lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    I play in a band that is more rock than funk, but my bass playing is allowed free reign to get as funky as I want to. I'm a rookie, so I can't overpower a song with funk, and still play primarily slap-less, but punch is something I really aim for.

I had Barto 9Js in my Fender J Bass Dlx, played them for a while, then swapped in the stock pups, then swapped in Ultra Js. For me, I felt the Bartos were smoother than what I wanted. Beautiful tone, but I wanted something louder and brasher. I am happy with what I get from the Ultra Js -- brighter, more output, and I think they let me get closer to the punch I'm looking for.

That said, in your shoes I'd get the barts, sell them on ebay, buy Ultra Js and enjoy the $30-40 profit... Barts sell very well on ebay...

5. I test the sound of these two on my bass, only the neck Pickup, and notice very little different. ( I taped both in) I seems that the ultras are more bright, more mid so when you slapp the barts is more smooth.
    But if you do a walkin' there is little to tell.

I don't know how to test the sound the right method.

Thanks for your words