1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkflats11, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    Okay, so I e-mailed DiMarzio regarding Push/Pull wiring. They sent me two diagrams.
    pj_2ppdualsndv1t-2.

pj_2ppdualsndv_1pptseries-1.

It seems the second diagram turns the neck off leaving just the bridge sound, I am correct with this? I want both pickups to function similar to normal just with the option to change between series and parallel? Which diagram should I use?

Also, the DiMarizio recommended 500k Pots and a maximum 0.033 mUfd cap. Has anyone used 0.01 caps with this wiring and how did it sound?

Thanks

2. The second diagram shows a master series/parallel push/pull switch on the tone pot.

Are you looking for just a master series/parallel switch, relative to the two pickups, or did you want the pickups in parallel with a switch to select whether the coils in each pickup are series or parallel?

0.033uF is a very low value, especially with the bright 500K pots.
    I would use a higher value so you have the option to cut more treble when you need to. Personally, I would just stick with a 0.047uF. On the other hand, with capacitors, generally your best option is to just try out different values. Capacitors are dirt cheap, you could tweak around with different values and try wiring two or more in various combos of series and parallel to find the right frequency cutoff for you.

3. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    "Are you looking for just a master series/parallel switch, relative to the two pickups, or did you want the pickups in parallel with a switch to select whether the coils in each pickup are series or parallel?"

I guess the latter. I want to be able to switch between having the pickups in parallel or series. Basically, just like a normal jazz bass, but the option to switch using the pots. I never had push/pull pots before so I don't know if I need a drill a switch for this or is it done through the knobs?

4. When you say "having the pickups in parallel or series," do you mean like the S1 switches on some Fender Js?

If all you want is a master series/parallel, you can use this diagram:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jass_bass_sp

For series coil wiring, use the red wires from each pickup as hots (White in the diagram.) and the green wires as grounds, then solder the black and white wires together and tape the connection off so it won't short against anything.

5. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks that is pretty much what I want. Push down for parallel and up for series. Just one more question (sorry) what is the purpose of the other two wires in the DiMarizio if for not series/parallel setup? The Seymour Duncan diagram does not include them and kinda thought the other two wires (the one solder together) were essential to use push/pull pots.

Thanks again.

6. Standard J pickups are single coils. The DiMarzios are humbuckers with leads for each coil. The push/pull switches on the two volume pots in the diagrams you posted allow you to configure the two coils in either series or parallel.

If you just want a master series/parallel push/pull, you will want each pickup's coils hardwired in series, as that's the standard for DiMarzios.