Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio with bartolini

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shatner, Dec 30, 2004.

1. shatner

shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    Has anybody out there mixed a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickup set with a Bartolini NTMB preamp?
    If so, how did it sound?

Also, I'm thinking of wiring the Dimarzios with the series/passive select on the switch and the NTMB going to the knobs on a volume (active/passive push/pull), blend, mid (frequency select push/pull), treble/bass stack configuration. Has anybody tried this setup?

I'm figuring it will give me about as much tonal variation out of my Marcus jazz as I'll ever need but am wondering if anyone has done the same. Especially on a Marcus Miller fender.

Mark

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

When I used preamps I didn't find enough difference between EMG, Bart, and Aggie preamps to bother with. Primarily they boost and cut and that you can do with your amp. Minimal tone shaping that makes a difference as an exception not a rule (how much can there be since they're basically designed generically for use with any pups). What makes more of a difference is the space - an OPB-3 is the size of cue chalk, the NTMB has the preamp and mid unit both being larger than the OPB-3. Throw in a battery (let alone two) and things get tight in a hurry - especially with all the wiring you're talking about. The EMGs BQC's are conveniently located on the pots but those cirucuit boards can be a problem plus you're stuck with a variable mid control, which is optional on the Aggie and not at all on the Bart. I like the Barts but you have to have the space.

I also haven't found a million different tone options on a bass to be of any value. If I found a tone, I couldn't get back to it so I'd leave all those controls in one place for fear of loosing a tone I finally found I could use. I didn't like variable mids for the same reason. What I found useful was to simplify the bass as much as possible and have all the tone shaping done outside the bass in a manner that I can dink with it for hours if I want, but once I get it, to lock it in to a preset that will be the same every time at the touch of a button or stomp of the foot. Either that or stick to basics in controls and get a set of pups with a good tone that works to a broad range of styles (or one specific style) with minimal tweaking.