1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio X2N-7, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Darkstrike, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    So, I want to add the above mentioned DiMarzio X2N-7 to my Precision bass, which already has a Kahler Trem.

The idea is to have more options, and to get the most out of the Trem, with easier harmonics, and an agressive clear bridge tone.
    I also want it to be able to easily push dirt boxes, or tube's.

I'm not very intrested in another J or MM bridge pickup, plenty of J basses, or ones with MM pickups, and I already have a P/J as well.

Anyway, from my resarch on here, this DiMarzio is essentaly a wider version of the X2N-B, or een standard X2N, which is very similar to the Model G bass pickup.

The wiring I'm planing on is, P vol - X2N-7 vol/push-pull series/parallel switch, just for the X2N-7, not between the pickups.

Thoughts? Ideas? Wanna tell me its a waste of time?
    Suggest a better pickup? Suggest a better wiring layout?
    All is appreciated, and thanks in advance.:)

2. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
  3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    My P that I'm dropping an X2N7 into is at the shop getting routed. I had noticed the X2N and X2NB were spec'd about the same so I asked a guy at DiMarzio what the difference was and he told me the box they come in. I asked about the X2N7 for bass and he said it would be like the X2N only wider. Not sure if he was brushing me off or not but I bought one and it will be in soon enough.

For wiring I'm probably going to go pretty straightforward with an SD QP P pickup in the neck position; vol/bal/tone. I thought about series parallel and what-not but truth be told the pickup will likely be bright enough in the bridge position without me thinning it out. If the volumes are similar I may try a 5 position rotary switch instead of a balance; the X2N7 and P in series as an option there. I also have a DiMarzio P pickup around somewhere I may try instead of the Duncan to keep it a single brand configuration, but I don't know if it makes a difference.

4. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Nice thanks for the info dude!:)

I was thinking of a DiMarzio Split P to keep the brand one as you say, but at the moment I can only get it in white.

I have no real use for tone controls, to be honest, so thats whay I was thinking of just Vol/Vol.

The series/parallel idea came from a Cort I have with a MM pickup like that, and I like the different tones from that, being push pull, means I don't have any new holes to drill and its not gonna be in the way to not use it, but not doing it isn't a deal breaker.

Thinking though the Split P is four conductor too.......:ninja:Two push/pulls:ninja:

Will ya let me know how your's goes, I'd be very intrested!:)

5. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    hmm interesting.. Me subscribes!

6. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    it will be a week at least befoer i can reply, i'll be heading outta town for about a week. on an aside; how do you like the termolo? is it useful at all? does it mess with your sustain when you're not using it? can you set the string spacing? is it hard to keep in tune?

7. erich

erich

Mar 3, 2003
    Birch Bay, WA
    Endorsing Artist: Kahler Bass Tremolos
    :D

You will probably find that given the high output of both pickups WT, you will wind up with a really muddy tone with it switched that way. I have done numerous experiments in which I have ran two pickups in series like you have suggested, and the results weren't all that great.

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Thats cool, I don't know when I'll be able to get mine.

The Trem, I love it, I have two now.
    Its useful, but not so much for regular playing, I like to pitch shift chords, bend harmonic's, etc.
    Not got the range of a guitar, but gets close with low tension strings, I could pretty mucj match it with Thomastic's, but they aren't very strong strings, easy to brea under pressure, and to expensive to be replacing often.
    This too lol, fun explosion noize!:D

Sustain is at least the same, if not improved, it has proven to be a non issue, and I like sustain.

String spacing is fully adjustable, you can even put a fifth saddle in there if you want really tight Ibanez like fiver spacing. I have one set to 20 mil and another at 18 mil, though I might widen that.

If the instrument is set up right, once the strings are broken in, they will hold tune just fine, mine have graphite nuts and rolling string trees, so there is nowhere to snag.

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Damn' I type up a huge answer explaining all about trems, and all we get from you is :D. Come on man, seriously!:scowl:

Hahahahaha! You know I kid dude!;)

Anyway, seeing as you popped in, might just leave this link here.:)
    http://basstremfanatic.forumarena.com/

EDIT: And now I spot it in you signature, lol, I'm not with it today.

10. Curious why you are interested in that pickup for your bridge?

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Looking for something different from J's and MM's, DiMarzio are a good brand, and this is supposedly the same as an old bass model they made.

It's also supposed to be really powerful, and clear, from what I read.

I want an agresive, yet different tone off of the bridge pickup.
    Being bladed is also an advantage, less worrying about having poles line up correctly.

If you have other options, or ideas, I'm all ears dude. :)

12. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm starting out with an unsterilized bone nut, I don't want to get a regular graphite nut on wenge just due to the color. We'll see, it will be a while before I get a tremolo anyways. I think. Maybe. Hmmm....

As far as the X2N7 I like what I've read about the X2N and the 7 is just a wider version of the same (the X2N barely covers the string width as it is). I'm dropping it into a cheap Squier and if I don't like it then so be it, no big deal. To be honest I have other basses I like better so it really is just an experiment for me. I bought the pickup months ago but I've been distracted by shiney things since then.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    A well cut bone nut will work just as well, and if you really wanted to, you could rub a pencil point in the slots, that'll be plenty of graphite, I used to use this untill I got graphite nuts. I know EricH who posted above also uses the pencil technique to great effect. :)

I also mirror your view on the X2N-7, as well as what I've already said.

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    You could also use a slipstone(derlin) nut, if its the white/yellowing colour your after, thats what Sadowsky uses on guitars with trems.

15. erich

erich

Mar 3, 2003
    Birch Bay, WA
    Endorsing Artist: Kahler Bass Tremolos
    I think everyone already knows what a fanatic I am about bass trems, so for me to go an about them is ad naseum. But ok....WT, I have been using Kahlers since 1984. In that time, the bass trem has become the one single fixture that I will not set foot onstage without under any circumstances. The bass trem is capable of producing subtle vibrato of individual notes, glides not unlike what a fretless can accomplish, a quick de-tune of a particular note, and of course, the occasional freak-out dive-bomb effect. While it is not feasible to use a trem every single second, and in every musical situation, it can be an interesting tool to accent parts within the context of a song, and an indispensible tool during solos. I have mine set to drop my E string an entire octave to where it starts to hang off the neck, and I can bring it back in tune every single time. But it takes a bit of work, and a knowledge of how it works in order to get it to function properly. It's like anything else. There is a learning curve, and whether or not one is willing to take the time to learn it.

I know of so many players who bought Kahlers in the old days, only to quickly become frustrated with them. When I asked them why, they would tell me things like "I can't get it to stay in tune", "I don't know how to use it", "I can't seem to get it setup right", etc. This is exactly why I created the bass trem forum, so those issues and concerns could be addressed.

A lot of players turn their noses up at the idea of having a bass trem, and that's is perfectly ok. What's good for one person may not be for another. But for me, I love them, I have always loved them, and I will always love them. ;)

Feel better, Bill? :p

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Indescribably.:)

17. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    ORLY? I shall have to look into this material of which you speak. Isn't derlin also used to make picks? Or am I thinking of another synthetic material?

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Thats the same stuff, never tried it as a pick, I've used it before as a nut, its a bit harder to cut and file than graphite, and looks great.

Here's the StewMac page, I bought a few here, but you can get it much cheaper off of a plastic supplier, so I hear.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Slip-Stone_Nuts.html

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yeah, and stopped making.

The Model G was an X2N guitar pickup with the blades removed, and in their place, 8 pole pieces. If you opened the Model G up, you saw the X2N bobbins, with the big slot for the blades.

Then they made the X2NB, which was just an X2N. The 7 is for 7 string guitars.

I had a few Model G's back in the 80's. I thought they sounded like dog poo. They weren't very popular so I guess other's agreed. I ended up making thinner blades for them, and using them in a guitar. They were for for heavy distortion.

I rewound one for a clearer tone and used it in a Kramer Duke.

It's a pretty muddy and midrangy pickup.

You might like it. I never cared for them.

BTW I used to have a fretless P/J bass with a Kahler and DiMarzio Model P and J pickups back in the 80's. That was a fun bass!

20. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Thank's for the info dude, you don't paint a pretty picture though. :atoz:
    While the bass isn't worth money, it does have sentimental value.

Again, not a big deal, except its a non standard sized rout, not gonna be eazy to rework for another pickup, if I'm not happy.

Would it be possible to build a kind of mount, and tape it on to the body, to say test the pickup, floating over the strings, see how it sounds, or would even mounting it this way sound too different?