Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio X2N-B Frankencision project is ON!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fremenblue, Jun 27, 2004.

1. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I dropped off my Fender '57 reissue Precision today along with the Moses graphite neck, Dimarzio Willpower middle pickups and Dimarzio X2N-B humbucker. He said it would be ready in about a week! WAhooooOOOOooooo!!! Very cool. . . .we're also putting a series/parallel switch on the bridge humbucker.

I'm sooooooooo excited about getting this baby together.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I'm hanging to hear your impressions of what this pup sounds like. I have another order being compiled, and I'm waiting to see before I add one of these to it.

3. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    fremenblue, where did you find those pups?

4. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I took that pickup out of a Yamaha Attitude--not Billy's sig. bass, but one that they marketed several years ago that was like a step below, lower cost bass. It had this pickup under the pick guard in the neck position as well as a P pickup.

The bass is done. Frankly, I goofed. I told the luthier to put the X2N-B at the bridge, but what I meant was in the sweet spot near the bridge. He put it right against the bridge. As a result I don't get near the sound out of it I wanted and imagined. It's very low output on that pickup unless I'm flailing with a pick, and of course a very thin sound as well. I'm considering seeing how much it would cost to partially fill the route and then move the route forward about an inch or so.

Overall the bass is a success. It's definitely something different from what I expected, but also different from virtually anything anyone else has. :) It's fat, growly, snarly, sounds great in the upper register, has a very strong output, a super-round tone that I dig, very tube-like. It's heavy as sin, though. That's graphite for ya I guess.

If I reroute and like it then I'll consider a refinish on the bass and kind of close the book on the changes to it. As it is, it's become my favorite bass again! So it didn't go all wrong by any stretch of the imagination. Still, I haven't given up on this pickup! It just needs the proper position.

5. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    You screwed the pooch routing on a Japan reissue bass in the first place. I would have put the high dollar neck on an aftermarket body then routed to my hearts content. You could have sold the japan reissue to pay for your project. Hope it turns out well for you cause when you do custom things to stock name-brand basses, it makes it your very own project and its hard to pass it on to anyone else if you get tired of it. I once stripped the paint on a patent pending G&L bass from early 1980's. I painted it in a grunge style and I devalued it beyond belief.

6. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Psyberslack: I purchased the bass second-hand in much less than new condition. It was refinished badly with an aftermarket pick guard. I don't buy basses to sell them, I buy them to use them, to play them. They aren't investments so I feel free to do what I choose with them. Also, the "high-dollar neck" was less than if I'd bought one at Warmoth cos it was a Moses 'second' neck, had some blems, I got it at a killer price, just like the MIJ P that I bought.

The whole point was making this bass more mine, getting more of what I wanted out of it. I chose the right bass to do it with. You may have taken a perfect bass and trashed it, and that was a valuable lesson for you, it's good that you learned from it and are sharing it with others so they can learn from your mistakes. I chose to modify a bass that someone else had already devalued, so my choice was a wise one. Will anyone want to buy it later? I don't care, it's not for sale. Not now, not later.

Bottom line, my proverbial pooch, in this case, is still virginal.

:bassist: :D

7. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    fremenblue, the reason I'm interested is I've recently aquired an early-mid 80's USA BC Rich Mockingbird. The original pups and electronics were stripped and replaced with EMGs. The bridge position has an original route that currently houses an EMG-HB, a guitar sized bass humbucker. The problem is the EMG is designed for a 2 in string spacing (originally for the Steinberger basses). The string spacing on my Rich is about 2 3/8 at the pup. The A and D sound fantastic but the E and G sit just outside of the pups field and are weak and lifeless.

I know that a) the EMG is not original, and b) the route for this pup IS original. As it was customary for BC Rich to use DiMarzios, and this is the only DiMarzio I can find that size (the only other pup I've found that will fit the route is a Rio Grande Pitbull) I think it a safe assumption that the bass was originally equiped with the X2N-B.

Can you tell me what the string spacing over your X2N-B is and if you notice any difference in signal across the strings as I've described above?

Thanks for you help.

8. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    From the outside of the G to the outside of the E, 1.25 inches. They barely catch the outside of the pole pieces at that. I don't notice any difference in output, but this pup is set so close to the bridge that the output is pretty weak overall. It really wants to be a little closer to the sweet spot than I have it, where the strings will be at least marginally closer. It's an interesting pickup, one that I honestly don't think I've got the best out of yet. I do believe that you can order this pickup from Dimarzio, though they don't advertise it any longer or market it.

Btw, you can also catch me on HCBF (lovestherese) or ebassist.com (blacktheskye). :D

9. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    1.25 or 2.25?

Hey, I know those places. ;)