Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio's Crazy Loud????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bmaker, Oct 15, 2005.

1. bmaker

bmaker

Sep 25, 2005
    HD Country
    OK, I have major GAS for a new bass but the $ don't feel the same way. As a pick-me-up, I put some Dimarzio's in my all stock Yamaha BB404. Man, The static on these things are a little noisy! I did the old copper shield blah blah, new ground wire for the bridge etc. but still have that static. Come to think of it, My Yamaha YZ 250 is a little quiter :crying: ! What PUPs are dead quite out there? Many Thanks

2. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've read that humbuckers are usually quieter. Not sure if this is true or not, but in my experience it has been.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've used lots of Dimarzios of various types and noise has never been an issue unless there was a wiring or other installation problem. Sounds like you have one of the coils out of phase. Check it all as per the DM wiring diagrams on their website.

4. humbuckers remove the 60hz (i think) hum by cancelling it out by using 2 coils that are wound opposite ways from each other, so humbuckers are quieter

If its for application with something like a J style pickup you can now get stacked J pups which are also humbucking to remove the noise

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    so, really you mean 'crazy noisy' rather than 'crazy loud' right?

I've used dimarzio pups a bunch of times and never had a noise issue. How did you do the shielding? Do you have exposed wiring? Do you have any cold solder joints?

6. bmaker

bmaker

Sep 25, 2005
    HD Country
    Yep, "crazy noisy". I may be over reacting. This is my first bass so it may be normal. As far as the wiring, I soldered the Black and White of each pickup together and put shrink tubing on the joints. One thing I was a little unsure was about the Black and White. Since both PUP's have a Black and a White, I don't use the Black from one and the White from the other do I? Both are wired separately correct? :confused:

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, you don't say which dimarzio's you're talking about (J,UJ,P,PJ) so I can't give you any specific help without knowing that.

wiring diagrams are on the dimarzio web site, they have good diagrams that explain all.

8. As a amateur sodder junkie myself, check these things first,

#1 cold solder joints, (make sure not to move the wire at all while the solder is cooling) Make sure not to make a huge gloppy mess of the solder. Be careful in overheating any pots you are working on, dont keep the iron on them all day long, as you can burn them out. Also, heat can destroy the ability of magnets to hold a charge, so dont get the iron anywhere near them.

#2 do you have a bridge ground and if so is it connected some how to the the pickup ground? (lots of people ground them to the tone pot.

#3 make sure the p-ups are in phase. The diagram should specify the differences between a neck pick up and a bridge pickup. If the pickups are out of phase with each other then this should only create (i think) noise when they are both on.

#4 Not all hum canceling pickups will have 4 leads. Often there will be only 2 so figure out what you have before you assume its a single coil bobbin.

hope this helps.

Shielded cavities and wire wrap helps too...

9. oh duh, check other easy to miss stuff, noisey cable, amp, amp setting (ie trebly settings etc.) also check posttioning of the amp etc.