Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzios in an SX 5 - will they fit????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I know about the SX megathread, but couldn't find the info for this. Will DImarzio jazz pickups fit in 5 string SX bass?

2. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    bump.

somebody must have tried this?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you have the measurements of the pickup routes?
    Or do you not have the bass yet?
    One problem is that there's no one standard 5 string J route

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I picked up an SX the other day - great action, great feel, I love these things - they seem better n lots of basses 3X the price, and they're practically disposable. :) I wound up giving my last one to a kid because he helped our band out. Anyhow, Dimarzio emailed me their pickup size but they put the inches in decimals and my math sucks. 3.735 length??? Seems actually like their pickups are a fraction of an inch bigger but I'm wondering if I could put them in anyhow without hacking up the bass too much.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Seems like you may have answered your own question right there... If the DiMarzio's are a bit oversized, a guy could carefully hack the cutout without too much fear of hurting the resale value... If they're undersize, the same guy could easily do the Yamaha-Mini-Bezel look for the bridge pickup...

-robertt