1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dimazrio model J ....with steelrounds or flats???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Oct 29, 2010.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Im gonna change the PUs on my stock MiJ to a model J after hearing rave reviews of it from the brothers on talkbass....Im thinkin whether I should string it with steels or flats. I have no experience with flats, but I always hear good stuff abt them. Im scared it would cut through with a distorted guitar and keyboards in my band.... I play anything from top 40s to modern rock and with fingers.

Also, what pots should I use when I change the Model J??? Thanks big time

2. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Personally I use steels with my Model J loaded jazz bass. DR Hi-beams specifically. Not really sure the sounds you are after but I would recommend using 500K pots as these are darker sounding pickups. I think that nickel rounds with the 500K pot setup would be a good compromise and cover all bases (pun intended) approach for you. IME and etc of course.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1
    dark model Js + dark flats = a pretty dark bass.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i have flats on my fender copy parts bass with model pj's. but somehow i can't help but think it's a bit of a waste to have such hot pickups that have a rolled off high end and not use rounds. and still i keep the flats on it.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    ah crappp. i got myself some flats instead. we'll see how it sounds tml after the luthier installed it for me

6. this is the sound i hear in my head, and what i'm saving for... ...model j pickups and labella flats.