Dimmu Borgir-Death Cult Armageddon,any fans?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by VS, Oct 10, 2004.

1. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I absolutely love this album! Black metal at it's finest. I'm quite impressed with the keyboards/synth,drums and vocals. The bass leaves something to be desired,but most black metal bass does. Please spill your thoughts on this album here,unless you don't listen to black metal. I particularly like this album over previous Dimmu releases. Although not as "musicial" as Borknagar and some others,it definately has it's place in my collection! -Luke

Reviews/sound clips here:

2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, i've got all of dummy burger's albums and dig the mud out of all of them....great stuff
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Is this the one with the symphony orchestra? If it is, I really like it. Hard for me to take in large doses however, it's very potent!

Not the biggest fan of "Shagrats" singing style, but the clean vocals are very impressive! Also, Nick Barker is pretty dang amazing on the drums.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm not a big fan of "mallcore" black metal such as Dimmu Borgir (I prefer more rootsy black metal such as Megiddo and Dissection over the symphonic stuff, but that's just personal taste), but there is some great talent in the band. I heard that Mustis did most (if not all) the arrangements for the orchestra, which is great. Nick Barker is a monster behind the kit. And while I can't really judge Vortex as a bass player (since I can barely hear his bass) I do like his singing. His kind of operatic vocals, I feel, require more talent than Shagrath's raspy growling (which is heavily drenched in effects anyway.) Vortex didn't sing enough on DCA.

Either way, DCA is easily Dimmu's best effort.
  5. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I really like the album myself, but I've been listening to more of Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia lately. I really love the drums in Dimmu-Borgir (regardless if Nick uses triggers or not). Vortex's voice lends a different feel to the music at first I didn't like it, but now I love it. Great band, even though they dont stick to the roots. :)
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i think that not sticking to the roots is one of the things i like about dimmu's stuff...not sure what mallcore is...just because it's available at the mall...you can get dark funeral and emperor stuff there as well...eh...i really don't understand the the whole 'if more than three people know what cave your extreme black metal band plays in, then you've sold out' thing, but i don't think it's a big deal either...i like it either way
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I'd listen to them but as far as I know they've not killed more than three or four nuns, have only sacrificed ten virgins and have a list of less than twenty arsons. Bunch of poseurs.

In all seriousness, I hate the freakin keyboards. More bass, less keyboards please.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Seriously, take the keyboard setting off of "ominous." :D
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly! :)
  10. i really don't like the keyboards on the DB albums.
    that and the operatic singing turn me off of them.
    however, they do have some killer riffs and drumming.

now i really dig the keyboard work and singing on the
    Opeth records. to me they have the best approach to
    symphonic black metal (or whatever you want to call
    what they do).

Arcturus also uses keyboards well.
  11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Big fan of Dimmu Borgir. I like Death Cult Armageddon the best out of all of their cds.

Saw them on Ozzfest this past summer and they kicked butt!
  12. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Hey guy's,thanks for the replies! I personally like the keys in the band. Mustis IS talent. I play keyboard also,and I am having alot of fun learning his stuff by ear. Yes,Mustis is the key behind the creation of the symphonic sound,but the band equally writes the songs. Vortex is bad@ss,in singing that is. His bass playing,like I said,leaves something to be desired. His vocals are phenomenal though. Check out more of Vortex's sounds on the Borknagar albums,he sounded great with them. Nick Barter's drums are definately worth some recognition. I'm learning drums at the moment,and this is not someone I want to start with. :( The guitar work is perfect for this album,not too much. Sometimes in metal,you just have too much guitar! (I.E. Black Label Society) I really like the main riff of "Lepers Among Us",great stuff. :D -Luke
  13. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Right on...