Dimoff's Warmups

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by darrenmccarthy, May 12, 2012.

1. darrenmccarthy

darrenmccarthy

Jun 1, 2011
    I would be fascinated to hear what you cats thought of this.

I found it online last week and have been really enjoying it. Especially 'Max's Magic'.

Others I don't quite understand (2,6,9).
    Maybe someone could shed some light on these?

Also I'd like to talk about some of the benefits of each individual exercise.

I'm going to practice this stuff for a few hours everyday for a month. Then maybe customize or omit others.

Exciting!

2. darrenmccarthy

darrenmccarthy

Jun 1, 2011
    Haha Here's the link

http://doublebassblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/max-dimoff-warmups.pdf

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Cool stuff! I've seen variations of it in other books but it's nice to have it all in one spot. I have to get in shape for a couple of things over the next month. I'll try it as well. Thanks for sharing!

4. darrenmccarthy

darrenmccarthy

Jun 1, 2011
    It's very cool, enjoy roy

5. darrenmccarthy

darrenmccarthy

Jun 1, 2011
    How's it going Roy? I'm having a great time with it!

6. This stuff is excellent, max's magic is really difficult, I'm playing it much slower than the suggested tempo, like quarter=80.

7. darrenmccarthy

darrenmccarthy

Jun 1, 2011
    I've started using 'Max's Magic' as a relaxation exercise.

My object being to concentrate on small movements, tuning, the actual notes your playing, breathing and also to keep my left hand as legato and relaxed as possible.

I have been playing it slowly too but building up speed by 5bpm every couple of days.

If you did these exercises everyday forever, you would be amazing. Let's do it!

8. trkkazulu

trkkazulu

Apr 18, 2007
    Is there anywhere I might be able to find instruction/explanation for using the Dimoff warmups? For example, page two is especially cryptic. I’ve interpreted it a number of different ways; all have proven beneficial. I’m still curious about what “the correct” way of executing these warmups is.
    Thanks,

Jair-Rôhm

9. paulunger

paulunger Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    #2 - is the Flesch arpeggio exercise. It is a famous violin exercise. The basic pattern is that you play the arpeggio built on the I chord, then the minor i chord, then vi, IV, iv, i dim7, I7. In Flech then you would take it up a 4th and start the pattern again in the next key and continue through the Cycle of 4ths (5ths).
    First you do the pattern one octave on each individual string. Then you do it 3 octaves across the strings.
    In Max’s exercise, he adds the scale, broken 3rds and the chromatic scale.
    The Flesch exercises are great shifting exercises and great ear training.
    #6 - is just the one finger scale exercise from exercise #5 but done with the thumb starting at the heel (Rabbath 3rd position) instead of starting in 1st position.
    #9 - exercise to work on intonation and finger spacing in thumb position. You put your thumb on the D harmonic (Rabbath 5th position) and fingers 1, 2, 3 over the next three half steps and play the patterns +-3-2-3, +-3-1-3, +-2-1-2 and then move the whole hand down a half step and repeat the pattern.
    To learn this type of thumb position stuff I recommend getting “Simplified Higher Technique” by Franco Petracchi. This is an advanced book. There is a great introduction to Petracchis concepts called “Scaling The Heights” by West.

flatback and Will Yager like this.
  10. trkkazulu

trkkazulu

Apr 18, 2007
    Fantastic, thank you ever so much!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021