1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dine on Honeydew...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by factorplayer, Nov 25, 2010.

1. jedw

jedw

Jun 5, 2010
    Preston Uk
  2. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I so associate these with "decreed by Kubla Khan" that I can't bear seeing them in any color other than JetGlo. Beautiful instrument but Azureglo just doesn't put me in the pleasure dome.

3. Exactly!!

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Gotta be Jetglo!

In any case I would love to gig one of these in a crappy bar in front of 8 people and rock out like a madman. Can you imagine the looks?

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Are all Ric doublenecks bolt-on? If so, that's pretty lame. Looks nice, though, bolt-on or not.

6. That's crazy money for that thing. But what do I know? I play p-bass.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Geddy himself doesn't play this thing anymore. Probably not very practical. Besides, I can only see it in Jetglow.

8. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    damn.

9. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    The guitar necks are bolt on, and so removable obviously, and can be interchanged with a 12 string neck.
    At least one Burgundy 4080 was built for the owner with a spare 12 string neck accompanying the order.

The bass neck is a set neck with a reinforcement plate, as there was precious little wood in the joint area.
    The 4080 body is thinner than the normal 4001 body, which is already pretty thin compared to a Fender, so the felt that some added security was warranted in the neck joint area.
    They weigh around 14-15 lbs as it is.

Those AzureGlos are quite rare.

10. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    You certainly do get the attention of all the Rush fans in the place!
    :bassist:

11. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    This one is certainly a rare piece, and all original apparently, even more rare.
    Worth the starting price for sure, no one ever seems to want to sell one, and from all reports there's very good reason for that.

12. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Never seen a blue one. It might go to $5500.

13. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I've seen three, on either one of the Rick specific fora, or ebay, and that's including this one.
    If it sells, I'll be surprised, haven't seen an actual sale for one of these in a lonnnnng time.
    I'll be watching it, however, I need to update my insurance on mine (a JetGlo), so I would like to keep current on value.

14. Well he only ever used it for two songs anyway (Xanadu and Passage). Definitely a relic of the 70's.

He did say the additional body mass made for quite a nice bass tone.

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    At 15 lbs, I'd certainly hope so! Must be a back breaker after two songs (let alone two epic songs).

Say, did Mike Rutherford during the pre-pop Genesis days play one? I could be thinking of a custom Wal but I'm just not sure. Don't think Chris Squire ever played one. Any one else?

16. The last one on eBay was a white one, and it went for $5,670.White 4080

17. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I've used mine for full nights, not too bad really unless I'm already tired, then my shoulder gets sore.

Rutherford's was a 4001 and a 620(?) cut and glued together, with the guitar on top. The guitar would be easier to play in this configuration, possibly the best ergonomically of the two methods, but not as nice aesthetically.
    A multiple neck instrument will always be a compromise in many ways.

And, yes, the tones are worth the extra weight. The guitar can sound like a Tele, Les Paul, or many variations in between, and the bass is massive sounding.

18. practicality aside...they do look bada$$......I'd love to have one.

I was looking to build a doubleneck out of a Warmouth body. I've got all the parts to do it except the body and bass pickups. My wife asked when I would ever use such a thing, and I said probably never, but no one else around me would have one!

BnB

19. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I must confess, I've toyed with the idea in the past. Not to build from the ground up via Warmouth or the like. Rather, from time to time an old Carvin double neck bass/git will pop up on eBay. Sometimes on the cheap! I'd figure I could gut the electronics and update (seymours, emgs, whatever). Maybe shave the back of the necks and tung oil. Have a pro set them up correctly and have one killer double neck that's functional that I can actually afford.

Then I'd come to my senses and shut off the computer.