Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ding dong diddly darn clicky noise. help me. please.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mjsisson, Nov 3, 2005.

1. mjsisson

mjsisson

Nov 3, 2005
    Hi there,

New to the forums. and I have a query.

I play in a progressive sort of rock band, kind of like Oceansize and Biffy Clyro. We throw ourselves around quite a lot during performances, and due to me being converted to bass from rythm guitarist, I pick the strings pretty hard with a plectrum.

I play a Stingray (4 string) through an Ashdown ABM 500 and ABM 4x10 Cab, (but with no compressors or other effects) so I have no problems whatsoever getting a 'fat' sound, but unfortunately at the front of all my notes is a really nasty sounding 'Click'. I've heard other people play hard with a pick and none of them seem to get the awful click I get. It's particularly bad if a line-out is taken from the Amp, but it's still audible even if just the cab is mic'd up.

Is this due just to my pick technique? or is it something that can be improved with say a full-range compressor? Or am I a lost cause. It would be great if someone could help. ta.

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    how close are the pickups to the strings?
    if the strings are touching the pickups when you dig in, that can cause the clicking sound. I just "fixed" a Yamaha 5 string that had the same problem by lowering the pickups.

oh..and WELCOME to TB!!

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Roll off some of the highs or mid-highs?

4. mjsisson

mjsisson

Nov 3, 2005
    thanks alembic, although I recently had a pro-setup so I'm not sure that's the problem.

Tried dialing out the high's and putting in more bass, but maybe I could try messing with the EQ a bit more. I've thought of using heavier gauge (and hence higher-tension) strings. Do you think this will help?

5. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    These other people; were they using your gear or did they have their own? You know, like a jam where several people just take turns with the same equipment?

Anyhow, what's your pick angle like when you address the strings? Well, when you pick the strings. :)

It might be too flat, too parallel to the strings so there's just a tiny moment of 'click' as it touches the vibrating string and then sets it off again. If that's the case, try more of an angle so the pick 'slices' across the string.

You could experiement with various pick thicknesses and shapes. As a rhythm player, you might be used to larger thinner picks perhaps, or those big Fender triangles. Sometimes by using a pick with less of a defined point, the string is allowed to slip off the pick as it passes over it, instead of coming to a clicky halt and then being set off again. I sometimes use the big triangles for 12-string guitar, but the thin versions, but when I go to bass, if I use a pick at all, and if I use the triangles, I use a medium or hard. Lots of attack and definition on those.

But then again I sometimes use a 351 shape Tortex light pick to even out the volume. I can play hard but the pick bends enough so the note doesn't just jump out above the rest. Like having a built-in compressor.

Try the angling thing and different pick shapes. If you're not already using them, the 351 shape is pretty even all around.

Another question: if you've ever tried playing with your fingers instead of the pick, do you still get that click?

Best

6. If you think the pick may be the problem and you decide to continue to use one, try a felt pick. They aren't as fast as plastic, but they are smooth with nothing to click.