1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ding in an LCD screen

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Something impacted on my LCD screen. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? It looks like a bright spot on a darker background.

2. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    You've got a stuck pixel (maybe). Look closely - it should be one pixel that stays on reguardless of what the image should be. They can be a manufacturing defect - I got one on a brand-new $3000 laptop! They're NOT covered by warrentee!!!!!!!

There are a couple of things you can try to fix it, though both are a long shot:

That nice animated gif you've got as your avitar is PERFECT for this job. Position it under the dodgey pixel, so it's getting turned on and off rapidly, and leave it running for a few hours. There are applets you can download which do this by flashing different colours.

If that doesn't work, try massaging the affected are of the screen.

They MIGHT help, but it is a long shot.

Ian

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Yep, try this:

http://www.jscreenfix.com/

Like Ian said, you can try massaging it with a damp cloth. Another thing to try is to get a sharpie marker and use the tip of the lid (or a similar rounded object) to gently tap the screen area where the pixel is. For this you want to do it with the screen displaying a black image. You want to tap it just hard enough that when the tip hits you get a light glow. Of course this last one is the most risky and I would treat it as a last resort.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This is an impact in the plastic coating over the screen. An actual physical ding in the coating.

5. Take the coating off, you will have a clearer picture anyway.

lowsound

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    errr...what...?

Hope you are kidding :)

I seriously doubt he still has the plastic thingimajick that covers the lcd screen when you take it brand new out of the box.

7. this is why these things should have a proper optically clear plastic / lexan shield on them new.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's exactly what I am thinking.

9. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Bad luck dude,

One of my ****tard friends bought a dagger a few years back when we were out in town. We got home and hopped on the computer just to play some games or something, and he decides to point (more like tap) the screen with the tip of his dagger to show me something.

his arm caught on something and jolted forward when it got freed. He's lucky that the tip of the dagger was VERY sharp and only made a dent in the screen about 1 or 2 pixels big. Otherwise I would have gotten up and handed his arse to him right on the spot.

It's been there for about 4 years now. He dented it about two weeks after I got it. :rollno: I'm not sure that there is anything you can do to fix it. It annoyed the hell out of me for a few weeks, but now it's almost non-existent through my eyes.

10. That just really stinks for you tho man, I'm sorry to hear. Those things certainly aren't cheap. Hope there is something you can do...or "train" yourself not to notice it.

My brother in law has a nice Olevia screen that he got under a year ago, and it already has three dead pixels... very delicate equipment indeed.

Mon