1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dinged my bass - how much will it cost me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Morales, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    I have a custom shop Fender P bass. I put a pea sized ding near the input jack where the side meets the back. The paint chipped off and you can see the wood there. Not visible from the front, but definitely visible from the back.

If I decide to sell this down the road (which I may) how much $$$ has this hurt my resale value approximately? I figured I could get between $1400-1500 for it if I sold. How much will that go down now?

Just curious.

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Waaay down the road, it won't really affect the value. (30-40 years). For now, it might. Beat the whole thing up and call it "relic". They sell those for more, for some unknown reason. Post a pic. It would probably be reasonable to have it professionally repaired if it bothers you.

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The repair will probably look worse than the chip. Instruments get dinged up if they get used. I wouldn't sweat it. If you actually play it, it will probably get more dings and dents. The first one is always the worst, and most painfull. It really won't hurt the resale much in the long term, unless you want to sell it tomorrow. Play the hell out of it and it will "relic" itself. To answer the question. A chip on a used bass shouldn't take more than $75 off the price.

4. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    What color is the bass? If its an easy to match color, you might be able to get it fixed without anyone knowing it ever got a ding it in. But i agree with what the rest of the crew said, no biggie, these things happen to basses when you actually play them.

5. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    A good plan would be to get really famous and put a whole lot more dings in the bass while you're at it. Eventually fender will start putting all the same dings from yours onto new p basses they sell as 'signature models', which will allow them to sell them for three times as much, and hopefully providing you with some nice royalties. :D