1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dings aren't always sexy... what to do?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by InstantEctobass, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Hi folks!

Just 1 month ago I got myself a beautiful Squier P-Bass Affinity 2006, in the truly loved Candy Apple Red metallic finish, that had her original white pickguard swapped for a black one.

Before I bought the bass, she was left aside all dirty and with strings under tension, so the neck got a little bent over time, but fortunately, a small turn of the truss rod helped to get it perfectly straight. I swapped the plastic nut piece for a bone one that I shapped to fit. I strung her with Thomastik Jazz Flats and cleaned the fretboard and electronics.

Sadly. She's not in perfect condition. There are very small dings that are ok to the eye (2 on the front of the body, and 2 on the fretboard). But most importantly, there's one giant ding at the back of the body, that even though not seen when played, is sadly affecting the overall aesthetics of that pretty music sword. :(

As I truly love that bass guitar, because she has a well balanced weight, a truly beautiful rosewood fingerboard (one of the most beautiful I've seen on a Squier Affinity! look at the pictures below), and as she made her road for 12 years now, which isn't bad so far, for a cheap instrument... what would you recommand:

— Leave that thing alone, and let the age makes its decisions to the apparence of that delightful sword, not worrying for that ding ?
    — Let's truly use that sword without care, and make that ding with many others on the road ?

Enjoy some photos of the P-Bass herself:

P_20181108_104328_1.

P_20181108_105116.

P_20181108_095933_1.

P_20181108_105006.

P_20181108_095450.

P_20181108_095331.
    P_20181108_095609.
    Hopefully, my magenta bed sheets didn't kill your eyes.
    Thanks for your answers and advices! :smug:

Attached Files:

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Can we see the PJ?

3. Haha why? It's a Cort PJ with its neck being bent like a banana, and its trussrod is gripped and cannot save the wreck. You can see it here:

[​IMG]

4. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Put a sticker on the back. Ding gone!

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Ding Gone! The witch is dead...

Bobro, Flooflox, garak7 and 7 others like this.
  6. Would you really apply a sticker?

7. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    That's character. Just play the bass and enjoy. It's a work horse. Not a show pony.

SBassman, Bobro, Crazy_Jake and 15 others like this.
  8. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't put stickers on basses, but I saw your Cort and thought that would be a reasonable answer.

I don't think it's a problem, I'd just play it and use the ding as a reminder not to make more dings.

9. Dings suck. But each ding on an instrument gets subsequently less painful.

MoeTown1986 and Bobro like this.
  10. The purple Cort had stickers yes, to cover the boring original black body, and then, I painted it in metallic purple to have lots of colours in it. But it would be an awful decision to apply a sticker on a Candy Apple Red beauty, wouldn't it be?

You're right. I should beat the frick out of her right now. Haha!

Rôckhewer and RyanOh like this.
  11. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    that fret board ding can be steamed out. the body dings can be color matched, drop filled, leveled out and buffed.

only two solutions really, live with them or fix them.

12. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Agreed to all of this!

I would just leave it

13. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017

14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Fixing that ding would cost more than a you initially paid for whole bass.

Leave it alone and just play :)

Dabndug likes this.
  15. BradH

BradH Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Billings, Mt
    Black pick guards look soooooooo good on red!:thumbsup:

saabfender likes this.
  16. Yeah, just play it! Almost all my stuff has a little "character'

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  17. In the time we all spent thinking about the dent no one can see, we could have been practicing. :(

18. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    If it makes you feel any better, I did that the other day. Was playing my custom shop P. Sat it down up against my amp, it slid and fell into my American Deluxe Jazz. Dinged the headstock of the custom shop a little and took this chunk out of my AmDeluxe. Oh well.
    5465373E-431A-4A99-A3DF-7DBD848F1CBE.

nolezmaj likes this.
  19. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Nothing wrong with that. But you could do the soldering iron trick to get the dings to pop back out. Just be careful doing it.
    I wouldn't bother.

20. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    " looks " and " sound " are not related .!?!