Dings in gloss finish

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by c-ba55, Apr 21, 2003.

1. The drummer in one of my bands knocked over my bass on a gig Saturday night. He is usually not drummer-like, so I had it on a stand up on stage where he was moving stuff around, and he knocked the whole contraption to the floor. There are some dings in the clearcoat gloss finish. Is that unrepairable? (without spending more effort / $ than it's worth)
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Newer polyester finishes tend to dent like that rather than chip as does lacquer. The most practical answer is going to be to leave it alone and chalk it up as experience and a memory.

IME, efforts to repair small finish blemishes turn out to be equally as noticeable or perhaps more noticeable than the original flaw.

Assuming the dent is only in the poly, and the wood behind it isn't crushed, you may be able to build up the poly using the correct clearcoat and a small brush, rubbing it down with steel wool between coats after each dries. And after it is all said and done, buff it out with polishing compound.

But as mentioned, there is no guarantee that it will look any better than the blemish did.
  3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Don't fret! As long as the problem is only aesthetic, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I had a friend who's brother knocked over his neck-through guitar (like 12 years ago) and the headstock snapped off. Now that is something to be upset about! Nothing stays new forever...
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The crazy glue technique works well. Had it done to one of my basses, and you can hardly tell anything was done. That would be my advise.
  5. I have a fairly expensive bass, one day i noticed a few deep dents and the odd scratch. No-one else can see them from the stage but i figured, "well i cart this thing around twice a week, to pubs and shows, play it at home everynight.... its going to get dinged".