Dings in the neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Ive got a few in most of my basses, but somehow my BTB has picked up an annoying one about the 3rd fret, where my thumb usually lingers

Is there any easy way to deal with it, because i dont fancy sanding the whole neck and refinishing it

I was thinking about just using varnish in thin layers and basically filling in the ding with varnish?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Don't use varnish.

You could build it up with carefully applied layers of poly and then sand/polish it to level with the rest of the neck...
  3. for very deep dings...
    sand it slightly with 200 grit in a small patch (creates a rough surface)...roll a piece of modeling clay into a worm and then make a ring (or a dam) around the ding...then fill the dam as much as necessary with some 24 hour epoxy...after it cures...remove the dam...clean it with a cotton cloth and denatured alcohol...carefully sand to shape...finish off with 400 grit, wipe it clean and then apply a light coat of poly...and then a buff with 0000 steel wool...

the results will all depend on how much patience you have to do a neat job.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Isn't there a way to repair this using moist heat?
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    almost any furniture repair shop has laquer sticks that are used to repair dings in furniture. they come in various colors and they can match most any shade of finish. the laquer is melted and pressed into the ding and then leveled with a hot putty knife.

You could try steaming it out if none of the wood fibers are broken. I've had less than great success with the steaming method but it would be worth a try. Just put a damp cloth over the dent and apply heat from the tip of an ordinary household iron or a soldering iron to the cloth right over the dent. You'll probably still be able to feel the dent but it should take most of it out.

The laquer method is the best solution and is usually pretty inexpensive.

You can buy the kits that contain everything you need from Stew-Mac but there is a certain amount of skill involved with the hot laquer method and isn't really cost effective for just one or two dents.

A big plus is that furniture repair shop labor rates are generally considerably lower than instrument repair shops.

good luck.
  6. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I had great success with the wet rag/soldering iron method on my MM SR5 when I put a little ding in the back of the neck, it really worked a treat. Ding was completely gone after I hit it with a bit of 0000 steel wool.

I did read it works best on unfinished necks as the steam can penetrate the wood better if there is no laquer. The dam, laquer and sand method sounds like a good idea though.. just make sure you take your time with it.
  7. shameandspite

Oct 12, 2005
    Most hardware stores sell wood swell, a fluid that soaks into the wood and expands it. Use if the fibers aren't broken and its an penetrable finish like a light oil. No guarantees on cosmetics on this one, too many brands and too little experience. Mostly its used to tighten friction joints in furniture.