1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dings on frets caused by transportation...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by momopez, Dec 23, 2018.

1. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Hi guys, I have ordered a custom made bass and finally received that few days ago.
    I found that there are dings on frets and the luthier said it could be caused by transportation.
    IMG_9853.JPG
    The bass was kept in a hardcase so actually it sounds abnormal to me.
    Do you guys experience anything close?

Edit: Typo on hardcase

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Garret Graves likes this.
  2. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I've never seen anything like that, related to being in a case/transport - I'd have a problem with that being a new instrument if it were me...

Jeff Scott likes this.
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    if you're otherwise happy with the bass, see if the builder will credit you for touching up those frets. No big deal, but I understand your disappointment.

4. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    At first I thought it was an acceptable cosmetic issue but after playing it for a while, it certainly makes an negative effect when I try to bend the string. Plus I found a few issues other than the dings on frets....which drive me nuts. And yeah I am dealing with the company for a return or even a refund...

EatS1stBassist and Garret Graves like this.
  5. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Unfortunately I am not happy with my new bass, this was just one of the issues I have found so far...and I do not have the tools or skills to leveling the fret myself :(

6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I don't blame you - you shouldn't have to do anything like that with a new instrument... I would return it, if I were in your shoes...

tradernick and EatS1stBassist like this.
  7. Is it even possible to return an instrument that was made specifically for you?

8. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    I am not sure too, but there are some other issues that I think it is not acceptable at all, so I am trying on it and waiting for the company's reply...wish me good luck.

9. If that kind of wear/damage happens when the bass is transported, what kind of wear will happen when the bass is actually played for extended periods?

10. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Have a competent builder/tech/luthier quote a redress. Contact the builder and see if he’ll reimburse you.

Frets need to be level. The builder should not want an instrument he built to have that issue.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

good luck! :thumbsup:

DiabolusInMusic and momopez like this.
  12. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    +1...

13. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    You know, they are all shipped somewhere. The mass market ones are shipped to the stores, etc. I worked in a music store for five years and I've never seen damage like that due to shipping unless the entire box was damaged, which would have caused far more damage than just fret dings. If product had come to us looking like that there would be holy heck to pay for the maker. Not acceptable in an instrument that's supposedly brand new under any circumstances. I hope you can send it back.

14. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Divots like those would be totally unacceptable in my book.

The fret wire must be as soft as solder if that's how they happened and who knows what they'd look like after a month of heavy playing!

15. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, I will see what the company can do for me. I am from Hong Kong and looking for a luthier could be tough.:rollno:

16. momopez

momopez

Jan 6, 2011
    Cool...that is a very strong statement for me.
    At first I wonder if I was in bad luck and things happen, but it turns out everyone I have asked told me that this isn't normal at all..

17. The builder's reaction/statement that it happened in shipping is a red flag already. Seems like they might want to shirk responsibility.
    There should be plenty of fix-it shops in HK.
    Though, they might be pricey, haven't been to HK since it went back to China.

Jeff Scott, tradernick and jd56hawk like this.
  18. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    New bass— unacceptable fret wear.

Not from transport

19. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I wouldn't be happy with it if it's new. Look's like normal wear on a used neck. When I ship a bass I slip a strip of small bubble wrap or foam under the strings.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  20. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

I don't see how that could possibly have been caused by transportation.

Honestly if someone would try that excuse out on me, I'd be hard pressed to believe anything they told me.

Sounds like a used neck was put on that bass.

gebass6, Goatrope, fauxtoe and 2 others like this.