1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dingwall 5 string is it that good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Apr 7, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    hey everyone, ever since I had found out about dingwals I have be fasicinated with the fanned fret 5 string. Is having a 37 inch scale for your b string so much better than having a 35 inch scale? lately ive been thinking about getting a lakland 55-02 instead of a dingwall but one thing I really want to know is how are the B strings(I havent tried these basses out yet.) compared to each other and other basses you played and ill take any bass recommendations from that are between 1000 to 2500 dollars Canadian.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yes, they are that good hehe. I wouldnt say the 37" is why its so great though. You can get just as nice sounding B on a 33", its more about construction. I like Fanned Frets due to the eveness of string tension across the board.

3. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The B string on a Dingwall is one of the best in the biz, if not the best. The great characteristic is that the B string and G string have similar tension. The combination of 37" scale, neck construction and rigidity make their 5s top of the league.

Are they that good?
    Once you hear and feel the B string and the rest of the bass, words don't do it justice.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In a word?

YES.

Best sounding and feeling bass I've ever played.

[​IMG]

5. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Amen. Sheldon jumps out of the design box & raises the quality bar simultaneously with his instruments. It's another instance where words fail, you need to be Dingwall experienced... After I got my AB-1, I was able to let go of a much cherished 55-94.
    [​IMG]

Ken

6. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    they are pretty much completely amazing basses.

im pondering getting a used ab 1 4 string in the next few weeks.

7. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Yeah, I've never tried one myself, but I must say that in the 100s of mentions i've seen Dingwall get on here from various members, I've hardly read anything that wasn't a complete worshipping of the bass.

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

They are amongst the best of the basses made today. IMO.