1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall AB I opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stevosimpson, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Stevosimpson

Stevosimpson

Dec 31, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The best B strings in the world are 37"+ scale, they allow you to get a clear and true note with sustain all the way up the neck while anything less will get overtones as you go up the neck. You can have a tight open B (or A) on a 34" bass but it is when you fret up the neck that it makes the difference.

What specifically are you wanting to know about? Build quality is top shelf as is customer service. Tone is always subjective but most people can find at least one setting on a Dingwall they enjoy.

3. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    If by beefy, you mean clear and powerful, the 37" B-string (or in your case, A-string) is hard to beat. I have a Hipshot detuner on one of my Dingwall B-strings, and the A is still clear and focussed.

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    P1120675.

We have similar tastes. The blue (Indigoburst over alder) AB-1 above was my first Dingwall. I find it much easier to discern the fundamental note on Dingwalls compared to mono-scaled instruments. Clarity - a good thing in my book. Plenty of 'beef' also IMO. They have excellent, powerful pickups that are made in-house. Mine was equipped with a pair of FD-3's until I got curious and switched out the neck pickup for a P-tone. I don't know your string spacing preference, but on the five-strings it is 18mm. Good luck on your journey to finding your new bass!

5. Stevosimpson

Stevosimpson

Dec 31, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    How much did that AB-1 run you up? I'm waiting for a reply from Sheldon but I'm very interested in finding out right away

6. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    No help on current prices as this was an '07. You should e-mail Barry Lamb for a current price list.

7. Used is always an option. You can usually get an ABI for somewhere around $2000 used. You might not get all the options you want though.

8. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    And I am still loving that bass! Thanks again Spiritbass :bassist:

9. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You're welcome again, brother! :cool:

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    For those who don't really like a super thin neck, the AB does a nice job of keeping a 'traditional' feel down low while making access and playing across the neck comfortable further up. While most of my playing these days is on my Voodoo/Zebra, I still really enjoy the feel of the Afterburner basses.

11. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I never get tired of seeing that bass. Understated beauty at its very best !

12. spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    :cool: Me too. I'm not into flamboyant. :cool:

13. According to the 2013 Canadian direct price list that Barrie sent me in the spring, street price for a base-model AB-1 4-string is $2,250. 5-string is $2,410. Wenge neck is plus $190, 3 pickups is plus $260, and a figured top starts at $420 for flame maple.

I don't know what those prices would translate to in other markets.

14. Stevosimpson

Stevosimpson

Dec 31, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    Got a quote back on the bass, $4270 CAD before taxes. Quite a fair price IMO, its fully loaded with all the features they offer.

15. Nice. That's still a grand less than the Fodera Yin-Yang Standard I got to check out when I went to pick up my ABZ from the dealer. The Fodera was an impressive piece, but I wasn't even a little tempted..

There's a LOT of sexy stuff on Sheldon's options list, isn't there?

Still, one of the cool things about the Canadian-made lineup is that the fundamentals are all there, regardless of whether you order a simple, workmanlike stage instrument or a presentation-grade work of art. I'm extremely pleased to have gotten out with my dream instrument, for a little over two grand.