1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall: ABI 4 vs Super PJ4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JustJoshin, Feb 8, 2016.

1. JustJoshin

JustJoshin

Dec 30, 2015
    Is there a big difference between the two? Trying to decide which would compliment my Super J5 better.

2. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Scale length. Super series 4 string - 34.25" - AB series 4 string - 36.25. ABs also use FD3 pickups, where the Super Js uses a Super Fattie for the J. You'll like having that P. Adds some nice soft tone options.

I have an AB2 - 5 string and a Super PJ - 4 string, so ask away.

3. There is a tremendous difference between the two. I currently own an Afterburner 1 and I recently sold a Super P5. Like NaH mentioned, the scale length is longer on the Afterburner. If you're also in the market for a 4-string Afterburner, one thing to note is that the string spacing at the nut of the Afterburner is going to have a standard P-bass spacing at the nut (1.65"/42mm). You also have the option if swapping out the neck pickup in the Afterburner for Dingwall's P-tone pickup, which will give you a great P-bass sound if that's what you're looking for. The Afterburner can also cover a lot of other options as well. I personally love my AB1 to death - I find that the longer scale better suits my needs than the shorter scale Super-series basses.

There's also an important distinction between Super PJ and Super JP - a Super JP, like what NaH is referring to, is a Super J (J-bass body/pickguard and 1.5"/38mm nut spacing) with a P pickup instead of a regular neck pickup. A Super PJ, on the other hand, is a Super P bass (P-bass body/pickguard and 1.65"/42mm nut spacing) with an added bridge pickup. The bridge pickup on the Super PJ is going to be much farther away from the bridge than the JP's bridge pickup, so consider this when determining which route you want to take. Also note that going the Super PJ route will prevent you from ordering the bass with a preamp, if you're into active electronics. In both both the Super PJ and JP, newer basses come with an FD3 bridge pickup; only the old Super J models use the Super Fatty pickups, unless you specify when you order that you want a Super Fatty bridge pickup.

4. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I guess I do have a Super JP. That is a good way to distinguish. I've also seen both the Super J and AB series with 3 - FD3 pickups, so that is another option too!