1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Dingwall ABZ 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by redwood, Nov 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. redwood

redwood Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Price:
    $1900
    Strings:
    Price lowered to $1900.....
    Up for sale is my beautiful Dingwall ABZ 5. I've had her for about 3 years and have loved every second of playing. However, onset of a little arthritis is making playing her a bit uncomfortable. Also, I'm doing a lot more pick playing lately and I'm finding that I am much more proficient with a pick on parallel fret basses.
    I am the second owner, with the first having very little playing time on her.
    The bass is stock, except I changed the rear pickup from parallel to series wiring to get a bit more mid content. It is completely reversible with little effort if you wish to change it back.
    It weighs in on my luggage scale at 8.2 lbs.
    This is all passive electronics.
    Pictures don't do justice to the beautiful birdseye maple board.
    There is a small ding on the headstock. It's tough to see in the picture, and it's not very noticable.
    One issue I've had is with some minor corrosion on the bridge. I'm really not sure why it's there as I never use that location as an anchor. There is also a slight amount of shine to the matte finish around the knobs and thumb anchor positions on top of the pickups. I can't get that to show up on pictures at all (after about 20 different tries).
    All in all, a most excellent instrument.

20181117_130006. 20181117_130022. 20181117_130042. 20181117_130107. 20181117_130135. 20181117_130348.

The price is $2000 plus actual shipping for the bass and the originall Dingwall gig bag which is in like new condition. If you would like it with a great Gator hard shell case (pictures), please add $50 to the price. The original Dingwall tools will be included in he sale.

For trades, I am specifically interested in Spector Euro 5's. But, that doesn't mean you can't shoot me whatever you may have. I wouldn't being against going a couple hundred bucks either direction for the right deal. That said, I am not a Fender guy.I prefer the out of the ordinary. And I much prefer active electronics.

I think you'll find this an excellent price on an excellent Canadian made instrument, with a B string I like to call "The voice of God".

Contact me if you have any questions or trade offers.
    Peace!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Brianvw, Jefenator and whirledpeas like this.
  2. TheBamaSlamma

TheBamaSlamma

Apr 19, 2012
    Alabama
    Great bass. Great price. Don't sleep on this one, folks. These are killer basses.

Waltsdog and Jefenator like this.
  3. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Thanks Bamma. So true. These are killer basses.
    I just noticed that in the shot of the ding in the headstock, the graining of the wood looks a little strange, like there may have been a repair done on the small piece near the B string tuner. There was no repair. It just looks that way. That is the original glue joint, and in perfect shape.

TheBamaSlamma likes this.
  4. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm a little surprised. Very little interest in this beauty. Fantastic bass. Good price.
    Do I smell? :bawl:

5. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    Great bass. Beauty fretboard too. GLWTS!

6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Sorry to hear about your arthritis. That interesting grain on the headstock caught my eye and it took a while to find the 'ding'. I am 'full up' on Dingwall basses, hence not in the market... Someone will come along before long to give this beauty a new home. :cool:

7. chuck1073

chuck1073 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    Any interest in a Roscoe LG 5-string? Cocobolo top, Maple/Purpleheart neck, Bart electronics.

8. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    You never know. PM me a pic and some specs and we'll go from there.

9. chuck1073

chuck1073 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    Check your PM's. Sent specs and pics.

10. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Price dropped to $1900. Tough to beat the price for this instrument.

11. Jnes

Jnes

Dec 30, 2018
    I am looking for one of these and based in the UK. I am curious if I will get nailed for import taxes if you ship here. My guess is yes. I had a thunderbird shipped and was penalised with the tax but it was new from the factory..none the less.

Question- I play with a pick and am curious why this is harder for you with these frets? I play Sandberg at the moment but am looking for another 5 string

12. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY

13. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    A couple of interesting trade offers so far, but not really what I'm looking for. Still kinda "jonesin" for a Spector 5. And there's one I've had my eye on.
    Cash is king, so throw me a reasonable offer (key word being reasonable). Worst thing that could happen is I say no. We've all heard that before.
    I would love to move this beauty. Make your new year a Dingwall New Year!

14. Damn, how is this still for sale?

15. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Changing this to For Sale Only. Hit me up folks.

16. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Sweet. That fingerboard is gorgeous!

I have an ABZ in dame trim, but the burst is redder at the edges.

Bump for a great bass.

17. Vladimirwolfe

Vladimirwolfe

Jan 30, 2013
    PM'd