Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall Afterburner...anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theaterbass29, Jan 21, 2004.

1. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    I recently checked out a Dingwall Afterburner 6 with Sheldons new pickup design and passive electronics. Wow! Awesome bass and awesome price. I would be interested in reading your comments if you own one, or have checked one out yourself. Later.
    -Jeff

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The new bassplayer in one of my ex bands uses one. It's flawlessly built and sounds very clear in the mix. Only qualm is finding strings suitable for the 37" low B.

3. There are a few of us on talkbass w/ Afterburner 1 (AB1) and AB2s. If you do a search you'll find full write up from me and others on these basses.
    I have a fretless AB and just recently sold a fretted Dingwall AB1. Great passive basses. Clear articulate tone and wonderful playability. For the money you won't find many basses that equal its sound.
    The 37" long B string just kills and the Novax board affords each note is focused. Don't worry too much about strings, you can find XL (D'addarios, DR, etc) strings from a number of manufactureres which fit and work, they won't sound like Dingwalls but they are pretty good.

My basses have FD1 p'ups and I was told the new ABs have FD3 which sound differently, I've bnot tried nor heard an FD3, but if it sounds better than the FD1 your in for a treat.
    Lastly, Sheldon is a pleasure to work w/ and deal w/.
    frank

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't have one yet, but I hope to own one in March or thereabouts.

I need to arrange a Southeast Texas mini TB get together so I can try out Frank's and Jay's Dingwalls. Never played one in person.