Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall Afterburner II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the_faceless666, Aug 29, 2004.

1. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    I would like to have some reviews or opinions about the Dingwall Afterburner II.
    I'm searching for a new bass and I play in a prog. Metal, jam band.....with funk parts....
    Well, let's say it has to growl, and I want it to have a very good slap tone.
    Please tell me about it if you know you can help. Thanks

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    tf666: man, it's hard to describe, but, in a word, GET IT. In several more words, get it if your hands can handle the 37" scale of the B (the *only* reason I don't still have mine). The fret fanning takes nearly nothing to get used to.

All the tone just speaks loudly and clearly - the only thing I could find to really replace it, to my ears, was going graphite/composite with Zon and later Modulus. Hottest output in Series mode on the pup selector, IIRC, equals extra grrrrowl. Since the strings are nice and tight, the slap tone is fantastic too. Spacing was good for me, YMMV. I played it in a rock/metal audition the day after I got it, and it sat in perfectly, playing everything from Faith No More, to System of a Down, to Van Halen-style stuff.

3. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks man for the help.
    I really think I'm gonna get it soon...but I,ms till not too sure about the fanned frets. Also, is the fact that's it a passive bas bad for cutting through?

4. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Haha, just get it. They kick ass.

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Passives cut through the exact same as actives. Only crappy basses don't cut. The Dingy is a great little bass. Don't ever shy away from one because of the fanned fretting. They're easy to get used to. I had a Z2 a couple of years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit.

6. Don't worry about the fanned frets. They are hard on the eyes only, easy on the hands. Actually... I think they look nice... hmmm....

Geoff

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Totally off topic.
    Nice Avatar. Not going to be using that here after the hailstorm we had last night. My R1 was sitting outside when it started. Lets just say I braved the ice balls long enough to get my baby in the house.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    hehe, do a search on my user name and you can see how much I love my bass hehe. I cant say enough good things about them, and like the others said....dont even worry about the fanned frets unless your hands are just really small.

to hear what a new one will sound like: http://www.dingwallguitars.com/FD3/

9. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon

Actually the Dingwall Afterburner II comes stock with an 18volt Aguilar 2 band preamp. it really rocks.

jmk

10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah, the AB I is passive, but the AB II is active.

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    We're up to 4 people from Saskatoon I think.

Myself,
    Sheldon,
    you,
    Geoff soon.

And that pre does kick some serious bootay