Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall Afterburner???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Feb 4, 2001.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Has anyone played one of these?? I just got a reply on the price of the one at Bass Northwest, and it seems pretty reasonable. It is obviously Dingwall's "budget" model, but I am curious to see how many corners have been cut to make it affordable. Dingwall's website says nothing about them yet, so I am kind of stumped on where to find a little more out about them.
    Also, would the fanned fretboard take a lot of getting used to, or is it easy to adapt to??
    Any info on these would be appreciated.

2. I haven't played the Afterburner, but I did play a Dingwall Voodoo a year or so ago.

I didn't have any problem getting used to the fretboard. Looking down at it was kinda strange, but I was amazed at how easily it was to get used to. The "B" string was huge!

I would really recommend trying one out before you buy. Based on my experience with the instrument, I would put it on a short list, although I don't know if I would want one as my main instrument. Just consider that you might get tied to the Novax design of fretboard. Could that make switching between traditional scalelengths difficult?

Jeff

3. I played one of the Afterburners at this years NAMM show in Anaheim and I was very impressed. Also Sheldon Dingwall is extremely personable and helpful so if you have any questions I am sure you can email him and he would be more than happy to help.

The fanned fretboard is a little bit odd at first but didn't take much to get used to. One of the tricks I was told since I was at the booth hitting soure notes all over the place was "Don't look at the fingerboard" and ya know what as stupid as it sounds it made things 100x easier.

As was said before though try one before you buy it cause I am sure they would be a very aquired taste.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Thanks for the replies. Since I have no way of trying one out around here, I guess I will hold off on this one and buy something that I know I will like.
    thanks again
    Ryan