DINGWALL Buckeye PRIMA with NEW body shape!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Jan 17, 2006.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    So this was a nice treat to get in the ol' email inbox upon getting home from work. Rod from Axe Music in Edmonton knows my weakness for Dingwalls, and this one's of Sheldon's most extreme builds.

A top of the line Prima Artist in buckeye burl...word from Sheldon sez it's his first buckeye bass. Anyone who's familiar with Sheldon's work can see that this is also one of the first basses out of the shop with the new body shape and I believe it's got the new HD-3.4 pickups which are "Prima Only"

If I didn't already have a Z1 custom coming from the Dingwall shop I'd be sellin' pints of blood to get this one in my hands...

I do have to state that I have no connection with Axe Music, the Dingwall shop or the Easter Bunny.

If you're into more traditional styles check out the new Super J colors here:

2. Wow. Is Sheldon going to be at NAMM this week?

3. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

He has a booth full of Super J, Prima, ABs and maybe A Z or two!

I don't think this one will be there though, it's in stock at AXE.
  4. Wow!!! :eek:

The detail on that bass is astounding.
  5. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't think it is. I was there a couple of days ago. I'm pretty sure this one is one of the 3 prima artists to be going to Namm.

These are the other 2 prima artists that are going.

Here's what he has at NAMM

"We'll have 7 Super Js, 2 ABIs, 1 ABII, 1 Z1-5 and 3 Prima Artists"
  6. Very nice... I'm totally impressed with the sound clips of these basses on Basstasters (or whatever that site is). I'm just not sure about the fanned fret thing... not so much being able to play it, but being extremely limited by string selection.

However... those are wonderful looking instruments!
  7. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    mmm mmm mmm........<shakes head and drools>

I don't think I would even play one of those, hang it in a glass case, that's fine art!
  8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

Now this is my all time favorite Dingwall. It was this bass that was the deciding factor for the wood choice on my Stambaugh.
  9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That was my one big concern before buying my Dingwall. Fortunately, I really like his strings, and I'm really picky about strings (each of my other basses uses a different brand or type).

The Dingwall message board has a strings section that has listings of all the different types that will fit, so you really do have more choices than you think.

I bought one extra set of strings when I bought my AB1 back in June, and I'm still going strong with those two sets. I switch them out once a month and soak the unused set in denatured alcohol. I can be a tweaker with strings (some of my basses I'd change strings every week and a half) and I think these ones live up to the basses.
  10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    unbelievable. Sheldon is quicly (re) becoming one of my favourite builders!
  11. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Beautiful basses. I have serious dingwall gas.
  12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You'll only feel that way until you pick one up, my brother.

They's some unbelieveable feeling and sounding basses.

They're also pretty hardy...I've been playing out with my AB1 since June, and not a scratch or ding and only some minor neck tweaks.
  13. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    That one's only a couple of weeks old. It's Lee Sklars new bass.
  14. Those are gorgeous! I feel fortunate to be aDingwall owner. I can't resist posting a photo of mine.

15. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That is the nicest Dingwall that I have EVER seen, and ive seen quite a few of them. I like the inlays too, very cool. I bet those fanned frets are a blast to play too, always wanted to try them out.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! Is that maple burl? That is one of the most astonishing tops I have seen in a while.
  17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Geoff StGermaine's Dingwall is one of my all time faves- Sheldon work looks amazing, i love the little old block inlays
  18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm having some serious Dingwall GAS right now!
    The ABII was giving me gas at first, but now this is killing me!
    I really dig the new body design quite a bit. How much do these Primas sell for? I'm definetly going to check these Dingwalls out at NAAM!
  19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Those Prima artists are gorgeous. What body woods?
  20. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    sick fingerboard on the buckeye one.