Dingwall Combustion 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Colin Seck, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Colin Seck

Colin Seck

Aug 3, 2018
    Hi all.

Anyone here own a Dingwall Combustion 4 string? I am interested in buying one. My local dealer told me it would be $2000 CAD and be about a 12 month wait time. I've been playing an LTD F-204FM for a while and although I haven't "outgrown" this bass yet I'm interested in upgrading to get some better tones. Is the sound on the Dingwall going to be monumentally better than the LTD? I'm mostly playing metal and hard rock (White Zombie, Kiss, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine etc).

The other concern is the 12 mo. wait time as I'm afraid there will be something else that will catch my eye in that 12 months. Admittedly, being in purchasing myself, I know that a quote for a 12 month lead time tends to get shrunk in half after an order has actually been placed. Is this true of bass manufacturing as well?

Garret Graves likes this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'm guessing your local dealer is L&M. Unless you want something particular, you can search other L&M store inventories. They tend to have a handful on the local wall at any given time. I don't know what is there right now or if they have any four-strings though. The Dingwall wait time won't be shrinking any time soon. They are Canada's #2 instrument manufacturer and growing. You could always scour the used market and find a used one. They are a lot more common in fives but Combustions are all over the used market these days. I just sold an AB4 for $1950, shipped, to a cat in Ontario.

3. Colin Seck

Colin Seck

Aug 3, 2018
    Yes my local dealer is long&mcquade. They have 2 combustion NGs in stock. Both are 5 strings and in colors I do not like. I'm definitely set on a 4 string in the Whalepool Burst color. It's a great looking bass and if I'm dropping 2G on a bass I want it to be exactly what I want.
    Too bad about that wait time. It may be a deal breaker.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022