1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Combustion 5 neck thickness/feel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmeknik, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Any one played Dingwall Combustion and any other Dingwall model (prefer Z, Lee Sklar, or Prima Artist models as they have the thinest necks). I just got a new Combustion and LOVE the sound but really don't like the feel of the neck. Are the necks on the Z and higher models noticeably thinner? I'm trying to decide/rationalize on spending twice as much (or more) for a Z and returning my Combustion. I have been playing a Gibson V for 25 years (bought new in '86) and like the slender neck so I am hoping there are bassists out there who have experience with Dingwalls Z, Lee Sklar, or Prima Artist models. (These have the thinnest necks of the Dingwall line.) The Combustion sounds and plays great, no complaints whatsoever but my preference is for a thin style neck (MIA Fender 5's are thicker than my Gibson V). Can any Dingwall 5 string owners or people with experience playing them critique the necks for me? I would like to hear some comments from bassists experienced with Dingwalls. Any models but the mentioned models have the thinnest neck for a Dingwall 5.

2. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Here is a link to the Dingwall specs:Dingwall Bass Specifications | Side by Side Comparison | Dingwall Guitars

Looks to me like the combustion has the same thickness as the Afterburners and Super J's and ABZ's. They differ in the shape, the combustion being the only neck profile called a D shape. The others are all C shapes, and the premium models are 2mm thinner.

I have afterburners and Super J's and find the necks are very comfortable and consistent in shape and feel, with the big difference being the scale lengths. Afterburners have the longer scale. Both necks seem to have the same specs, otherwise.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My Voodoo Zebra is noticeably thinner necked than my Afterburner I.

4. I see Zebra is a discontinued model or is it the precurser of the Z? I am aware the Afterburner has the "medium thin" neck so if the Voodoo is like the Z this is what I want to hear and now I need to price a Z... thanks BurningSkies

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The Zebra is a Z...that's what the Z stands for. :) The Voodoo is a slightly different body shape, with what's referred to as a 'cello cut':
    [​IMG]

The reason its a Zebra, is that the ash body has black grain filler, thus giving it stripes like a zebra:

[​IMG]

Mine was delivered in 2008, so it's not old, just a throw back to an earlier age. ;)

But anyway, the neck thickness is very slim, my AB is a baseball bat by comparison.

[​IMG]

6. I sent them an email asking about the Z series, probably looking at a Z1 with a maple neck and natural or a blue burst body. Thanks for the experience now I know to stay away from the Afterburner and Super J. I have short fat fingers so slim necks are a must.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've never heard anyone complain about the Super J, but then I've never held one, so I can't comment directly. The AB's neck profile feels about average for most basses down towards the nut and I find it feels fairly compact up in the 5th and above frets.

8. I won a Lee Sklar and it has the thinnest neck profile out of my Fender Jazz's and Laklands.

I have played a combustion in a shop alongside the Sklar and Z'z and the Combustion neck is definitely thicker - still nice though :cool:

9. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    I haven't played anything except my person ABZ. Its a gorgeous bass, but doesn't have an extremely thin neck. It has a...comfortable neck maybe? I used to play Ibanez Soundgear before I got my Dingwall though, so I was previously used to extremely small necks. I think thickness wise the ABZ is comparable to a Musicman Stingray, just way more comfortable and playable (never liked Musicman's).

10. I don't know why I love the big neck profile of the Combustion,
    I started playing bass with Ibanez soundgear that has very thin neck profile, but anytime i pickup my combustion:bassist: I just feel right,
    Pretty strange?

11. Here is some pics

Attached Files:

12. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    If the Combustion's neck is close to the Afterburner neck, I have no idea what some of you are on calling it "huge." My ABI's neck is VERY slim and comfortable. If you need slimmer, though, you're looking at a big bump up in price to the Z series.

13. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    This part of your post caused question marks to form over my head and my face to turn purple. :confused: For a few years I've been playing an AB-1 fiver and a SJ four. I don't think you would have these 'impressions' if you had an opportunity to play them.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've never ever heard anyone suggest a SJ was 'thick necked', and some I know have opined that it's rather small.