Dingwall Combustion Vs NG3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SumOne, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Combustion

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. NG3

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    I'm considering trading my Ibanez SRMS805 for a 5 string Dingwall Combustion or the NG3 signature version but can't decide between the two of them. Anyone with experience of both?

I play fingerstyle, what I guess could be described heavy groove based stuff with a solid, warm, bass heavy, thumping 70s type tone: Reggae/dub, Soul and Funk and occasionally some blues or stoner rock, different genres but there's something linking the playing and tone (at least in my head!). I'm not looking for something for playing with a plectrum, mid range thrashing, power chords, or a lot of fast melodic jazzy noodling.

On the face of it I would assume that the standard Combustion is best for what I'm after seeing as the NG3 is the Nolly Getgood (of metal band Periphery) signature model and has a darkglass preamp - I have found darkglass pedals to have quite mid heavy and clanky 'metal' orientated tones. I'd assume that means it's a more metal orientated version. The thing that's made me question this is this Youtube comparison (one of the only ones I've found) which says that the Combustion has more of a flat/harsher sound than the NG3 which is fatter/warmer.

(By the way, I know the stock answer is 'try them both out for yourself', I'll certainly try out whatever I get before buying but comparing the two in person is proving a bit easier said than done at the moment).

......or any other alternatives appreciated: active multi scale 5 string, up to £2,000 ($2,500). The SRM805 is great but it's mostly ergonomic things that make it not quite perfect for me- I've got big hands and feel that a some more space between the strings would be good, also it seems petty but the shape of it really digs into my leg when sitting down to play! The sound and flexibility of the EQ options is all good but I expect a Dingwall would be even better. I'm prepared to part-ex and spend some more to have a bass that I'll really get attached to and keep forever.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Hi, I have a Combustion and an NG. The good news is that I don't play any of the metal related genres and play all finger style, so you can consider either comfortably without thought of whether you're going to have to wear corpse paint at your next RnB show. ;)

The Combustion is an ash body vs. the NG which is an alder body, so that may or may not mean anything from you.

Are you looking at a 3 pickup Combustion, or a two? If they're both 3 pickups you may find that the cover similar ground tonally, since their layout is the same. They may have different pickup switches.

I never found the EMG harsh or 'flat' in a tonal sense...I'd think of it as more transparent than the DGTC. It's a good modern sounding preamp that has the frequency centers in the places you expect.

In comparison the DGTC has a low, a low-mid and a high-mid. The low mid is sort of centered at the 'punch and kick' part of the EQ range then the high mid is right at the 'string and finger noise' part of the frequency range and doesn't touch the super highs. That may seem a bit odd, but on stage works great. Roll back the high mid to smooth out your finger tone, use the low mid to give you a bit more definition and hearability in the mix. I find that when you do push the DGTC it can have a little bit of perceived 'grit' to it, but also not in a bad way more of a little bit of texture.

Are there some more precise questions you have about the comparison?

3. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    Thanks very much for that. I understood Ash to be a slightly milder tone to Alder, so would guess as far as body goes the Combustion's suits my needs better but it's probably not a huge difference? And I'd be going for the 3 pickup version of either of them so they will be the same in that respect.

So I guess it's mostly down to the different preamp. I like the idea of the way you describe the DGTC EQ working, being able to reduce string and finger noise while being able to increase the kick sounds ideal. As long as it's not designed purely as a 'metal' version of the Combustion then I guess there's not much in it between the two of them.

4. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    If you love the bass but decide you're not a fan of the preamp...that's changeable. ;)

I took my Combustion and had it professionally converted to fretless and while I liked the EMG for it when it was fretted, once it was fretless I decided that a center on 'finger and string noise' for the EQ would more effectively bring out the fingerboard sound of electric fretless, so I switched...but kept both.

Here's Claudio Rocha playing both NG and Combustion:

Here's my NG in a non-metal setting:

NG again, with a little bit of edge:

The Combustion fretless but with EMG:

NG again in a 'classic rock' vibe:

5. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    Nice one, the tone you're getting on got on both of them is what I'm after. You can keep the dress and crown though!

It seems that there isn't a huge amount of difference to worry about between the versions with 3 pickups but perhaps the Preamp and EQ on the NG slightly edges that one for me....it's is a bit more expensive though. It's a small thing but I think I prefer the look of some of the combustion models, the carbon pickguard isn't doing it for me (but then again, I like the NG matching headstock!).

I'll try and give them both a test, availability isn't looking great at the moment though so it might need pre-ordering.

cfcbassman and BurningSkies like this.
  6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Yeah, you may or may not have dealers in your area. The video you posted is from Ish, which happens to be here in town, though I've pretty much ordered all of mine in. I don't know where you are, so it's worth exploring a bit to see what you can find in your area.

The aesthetics of the Combustion trend toward more traditional, the new tops and finishes look fantastic. The NG's are all solid finishes, either metallic or solid colors and the overall vibe is a bit more 'supercar' than the Combustions. Of course, you can change out pickguard if you need.

The neck profiles are identical, so that will feel the same, no matter what you choose. I encourage you to go over the the Dingwall group here on TB and introduce and ask any questions. People are pretty good about that stuff. Also, there's a fairly active Facebook Dingwall Owners group as well if you're more into that. You may be able to find someone in your area who can let you test drive their basses.

SumOne likes this.
  7. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    Thanks. I'm in London and there is a dealer about 20 miles away but their Dingwall stock is a bit limited at the moment (and limited bookings for demo appointments) and some Dingwall options are preorder with 3 month+ wait time, but it seems like I should be able to try both models at some point then prorder.

That cooling off period does risk me learning to be happy with what I've already got and saving some money though!

BurningSkies likes this.
  8. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I've got an NG2, and used to own an SRMS805. From that perspective I'll just ask this: are you sure the Dingwalls would be better suited to the style of music you play? The SRMS805 is a really nice bass. A lot of people seem to take for granted that Dingwalls are the be-all end-all of the multiscale world, but they obviously can't be all things for all people. I absolutely love my Dingwall (it's the only bass I play these days), but don't underestimate that SRMS805.

SumOne likes this.
  9. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    You're right, the SRMS805 is probably all I need. I'll definitely try before buying a Dingwall, perhaps it won't be worth the trade and there might be better options (or perhaps the SRMS805 is the better option).

My thinking is that every bass I've had has got better (squire jazz - mim jazz - SRMS805), they're nicer to play so I play more, it's been a gradual trade up for years and I kind of wish I'd just got the best 'lifelong' type bass to begin with and saved years of playing inferior ones. The more expensive basses also hold their value well so it's kind of an investment..... this is just me trying to justify always wanting shiny new things!

lucas303 likes this.
  10. Just thought I'd throw in a little tidbit of information for ya'. The SRMS805 has adjustable string spacing. ;)

I've read a lot of comments saying the string spacing is too tight. The smallest Allen key that came with it will fix the problem.

SumOne likes this.
  11. SumOne

SumOne

Oct 26, 2017
    London, UK
    I looked into that and it seemed that the B and G would be moving too far out if I'd moved them any further ....in the end I part exchanged the SRMS805 for a Dingwall Combustion which I am happy with, although there are certain things about the SRMS805 I miss - passive tone control, and the 3x selectable mid control, lighter weight, easier reach.

Josh Pelican and BurningSkies like this.
  12. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    One thing I would add per my experience with the NG3 is if you add too much of the high mid it has a similar quality to an overly loud tweeter on a bass cab. That's the only negative I have on the NG3 but I really love that bass for heavy stuff or otherwise.

I have an older Combustion with different pickups and a different EMG preamp and it's a totally different animal. Way more mellow, so it gets used on my lighter/pop recordings. They are still great playing basses, just a different sound than the NG's. It seems they are a bit cheaper when you can find them, from what I've seen anyways.

13. Darn. Sorry to hear that. Glad you're happy with the Dingwall! I almost went for a four-string Dingwall, but I knew I'd be happier in the long run with the Ibanez over that particular model.

14. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Holy crap dude!! What are using for amps live?

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    My cabinets are original early version Dave Green (Greenboy) fEarfuls, a 15sub and a 15/6 with slightly different crossover and L-Pad configurations with help of Charlie Escher (Passinwind here on TB).

My preamp (and DI) and amp are all designed and built by Jule Potter, aka Jule Amps.

The pre is a somewhat custom Monique...high voltage tube pre/DI with a tube rectifier, 2x 6SL7's and 1x12AU7 and some custom transformer action.

The amp is a M2500... it's a 2500wRMS power amp based on a Hypex class D unit that is powered by a really over-spec'ed Hypex power supply. The kind of stuff that's generally installed in concert halls and theaters. It also has a one-off enclosure.

Though some of my tone, etc is probably part of my pedalboard as well. I have a few 'magic boxes' tucked in there too.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    baddarryl likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022