Dingwall Combustion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone70, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    OK... I'm about to pull the trigger on a Dingwall Combustion, my first foray into the world of the mighty 5-string.

Pros and cons? Should it matter that it's made in China? Personally, it doesn't bother me.

Would love to hear from owners out there.

Thanks in anticipation!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. brocco

brocco Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I have had mine for about 7 years now still have never adjusted the neck, made in China yes but inspected and signed off by Sheldon Dingwall, quality and craftmanship are very good. With the variable scale length string tension across all strings is even and makes playing easier, B string sounds really good. It does take a little time to get use to the fanned fret system, in about a day I was ready to go. Jump right in ! Here is a picture of mine from the shop I bought it from. Dingwall.JPG

3. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Thanks for the reply and the photo. Sunburst/rosewood/no pickguard would be my top choice!

All I can find right now is a natural ash/maple fingerboard.

kvoi4okuosqsyezrb5lr.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    brocco likes this.
  4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Good choice going with a Dingwall. No one makes a better 5 string. The Combustions are great models, especially with all the options now. Depending on the music you play, the NG2/NG3 are worth looking into as well, with the DarkGlass preamp.
    Most places have Combustions that are on order - but my local shop, TheBassShopSeattle.com, has four in stock right now though.
    All Basses | The Bass Shop

Also, once you get yours, join us in the Dingwall club here on TalkBass. A pretty active/chatty group for all things Dingwall.

Ikkir likes this.
  5. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Thanks! Bass Shop Seattle has the bass on hold for me until tomorrow. As you stated, many are on order, so I probably won’t find the sunburst/rosewood. The natural ash is growing on me, though!

Selta likes this.
  6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Tell Chad I (Ray) said Hi xD

7. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Will do! I trust that it will be set up and packaged well. Otherwise I’ll send you after them! ;)

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    It absolutely will be. Chad and Jeff are top notch guys and have been doing this stuff forever (BassNW days). You're in great hands there.

9. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    That's great to hear. Thanks!

10. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Ordered! Looking forward to it. Apparently Dingwall are no longer using rosewood due to CITES.

Now for an amp. I'm currently using a little Fender Rumble 100, and would like to stick with a relatively lightweight combo.

I like the GK MB concept of having the option of adding additional powered cabs if needed. It's a toss-up between the MB115 and 112.

Any thoughts?

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    If you do a quick search on my name and Dingwall, you’ll find a number of fairly detailed posts about my recently delivered Chinese made Dingwall. I’ve played a handful of other Dingwall basses of all eras exclusively for about 15 years, so I have a fairly decent grasp of the quality in comparison.

12. L Anthony

L Anthony Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Congrats on the Dingwall!

My MB115 doesn't have the option of adding an additional powered cab, but mine was first generation, so perhaps the newer ones do. I'm pretty sure the MB210 and MB212 allow the extra cabs, although I'm not sure about the MB112.

13. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    Thanks!

The GK powered extension cabs are offered as a 112, 115, and 212.

I'm curious about lower B-string notes sounding better through a 15" driver vs a 12".

14. L Anthony

L Anthony Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm only a four stringer; can't help you there. :)

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    It’s not about driver size, but cab tuning and an amp with clean headroom.

16. Hambone70

Hambone70

Jan 31, 2018
    The MB112 and 115 seem to be identical, apart from the driver and cabinet size.

17. Got my NG-2. Best instrument I've ever played.
    I'm in love with this thing and so is my band. My tone and playing has been elevated.

SgtHulka likes this.
  18. To my taste, I prefer a 10" even on a B string much more definition. I have a 2x10 and a 2x12. cabs. Don't think I'd ever go down to 1x15 too dark

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022