1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dingwall Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave44, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Has a bass player in this realm had an opportunity of playing a Dingwell Fretless I'm currently searching for a 5 string fretless and the only 5 string I've played where the B string has a solid feel have been the Dingwalls. Pretty hard finding one I can acually play and feel so I need a little experience from the good folks here in bass land before I think of ordering one. Acully any feed back on a 5 string fretless would be much appreciated.

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I remember there was a white 8 string Fretless (lined) Conklin that had the Ralph Novak fanned system... I think that it was a single pup-wired to jack (no electronics) set up.

Jauqo might have owned it, ask him.
    j

4. Yes....
    I have a Dingwall Fretless bass.
    Sheldon has only made a few of them, so your prolly not gonna find them available IIRC, Sheldon mentioned that most people want his fretted basses and learning great intonation on a Novax fingerboard would be a task -hence he doesn't make a bunch.
    That said, After i bought my first Dingwall and found out how great a bass it was, I thought about how great my fretted would translate into a fretless and in this regards Sheldon made me a Fretless Afterburner w/ an epoxy coated finger board-LINED.

You can read about a full review in the link
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62720&highlight=fretless+dingwall

I will tell you that my fretless bass sounds like Dingwall afterburner w/ Mwah (not alot of it but enuf), its punchy, aggressive, and articulate.
    Additionally Sheldon has made a semihollow bass w/ a piezo bridge which might be suited for a more organic fretless tone.

if you have specific question feel free to ask, or contact Mr Dingwall
    frank

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I was the original owner(I may be getting it back) of the now Infamous 8 string Fanned fretless Conklin(I think it was Conklin's first Fanned Fretless)with the Novax system,it was tuned Low F# to high F and it played very well,the three lower Strings(F# B E)were very nice and pronounced not to tight and not floppy at all,and the Bass had one pickup and one volume knob(I'ts a bass that I very much regret having got rid of,but it was getting very heavy,it's solid maple,and it has a natraul finish.not white)whether your fretless has the Novax Fanned system or not you still have to place some focus and dedication to intonation anyway and I'm speaking after having a Fanned Fretless fingerboard and playing about 90% fretless anyway.if you get a fretless 6 string with a low B you can look at it as when you're playing on the B and E strings it is then a 35' scale fretless and when you're using the other strings you're playing a 34' scale basss,thats pretty much what it would be anyway.and I have a Dindwall fretted Voodoo and it has some of the best balance when it comes to overall string and tone projection.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

See I knew my memory wasn't entirely failing me...

:p

I remember it being on eBay a while back and somewhere in the item description it said '...are you man enough?...'

I always thought that was cool.