1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Hesitation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chokeslam512, May 10, 2010.

1. Alright, I'm getting into some trouble here with GAS. I will be getting a higher end five string pretty soon as I am GASsed out on cheaper basses. One that caught my eye was Dingwall. The style (obviously) and the 37" scale Low B-string would be fantastic for some of the heavier songs, my band is doing. My real concern is that once I learn the multiscale fret layout (because whatever I get is going to be played a lot when I get it) is that I won't be able to transition readily between standard and multiscale. I am fine with going between 34 and 35 inch scale, but the dingwall scares me.

Anyone out there have trouble getting used to the transition?

:bag:Anyone in Kansas City want to let me try out their Dingwall?:bag:

2. Jimmy_

Jimmy_

Jan 22, 2010
    the Netherlands
    My experience: Since ~two months I have a Dingwall ABII, I also play a 4 string 34" Rikkers and a 3/4 EUB (ARIA SWB-04) and have no problems switching between them.

And yes, the B sounds Awesome :D

3. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    I purchased my first Dingwall last year (AB1) and found the fanned frets not to be an issue at all, in fact I much prefer them now. I can transition back and forth between fanned and regular frets no problem, I actually find if I don't look at the fret board it is not very noticable at all.
    On the other hand after gigging the last 6 months with my Dingwall I don't have any interest in playing anything else, so now I am GASing for another Dingwall!

4. This is my wife's biggest fear and my favorite dream as of late...

5. I was recently allowed to play a custom 36 inch scale when I stood in for my buddy in his metal band, and holy crap did that B sound like thunder. Talk about throwing more GAS on an already intense flame!:bassist:

6. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The "transition" is not a huge deal IME. The high C is the hardest thing to adjust to on my AB1 6'er and the neck profile and ergos make that as friendly as a 6-string could possibly be. A 5-string would be a cake walk!

I'm always hopping around between (42") upright, Dingwall, 34" and 30". Your concerns are understandable but if you scan the threads, I think you'll find the vast majority of Dingwall buyers had little to no trouble adjusting to the fanned frets.

And of course that low B is in a league of its own - very much worth any adjustment effort.

7. I feel a bit like the first wave of Persians getting pushed over the cliffs in 300...

I have a few hundred more to go and then I'm hitting the market.....

8. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    Playing parallel basses is no problem - says a fretless Dingwall player. It's only an issue of why would you ever want to :)

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I can switch back and forth between a Dingwall and any of my Fender scale length, parallel fret basses without a problem, including my fretless Jazz.

The only difficulty is that after picking up any of the others I instantly miss ALL of the aspects of a Dingwall and have no desire to play anything else.

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I tried out a Combustion 5, and it was actually pretty easy to play right away. I can see that, after a month, it would feel like second nature the way that parallel frets do now.

My only concern with a fanned fret system is the whole process of finding balanced strings again. I might have to contact Skip at Circle K and see if he could help me come up with a fannet fret balanced set...for whenever I do hop on the fanned fret train. :)

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    When I saw the thread title, I thought the "Dingwall Hesitation" was their newest model, like a Combustion with training wheels. :p

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    "The Dingwall hesitation is our newest 2-string model for those of you who are too scared to try and pay for a full 4-string. It may also appear to Mark Sandman lovers. Scale length is standard 37 - 34 inches and is tuned E-A."

13. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

Jan 23, 2010
    Isnt the fanned fret system made so theres more balance with regular strings. If i recall correctly skip says his balanced strings make there be no need to have fanned frets.

14. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    I love it! :D

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Except that fanned frets are fun and ergonomic, and no matter how hard you try, a 37" B-string will never sound like a 32" B-string. It's a matter of tonality, as well as tension. A set specifically designed to be balanced on a fanned fret bass would be the ultimate in awesome.

If you look at string tensions, it's usually a bit wobbly - some are up by a few pounds, some are down, and fanned frets can't fix that entirely.

16. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    There's very little adaptation needed to play the Combustion. I've had mine for about a month and I have no trouble bouncing among the Combustion, A Lakland 55-94 (35") and an Epiphone Zenith acoustic/electric (34"). You will, at first, find your left hand coming up short at the first fret, especially on the B, but that passes quickly. Pay no attention to the fanned frets. Just play the thing. How often did you look at the frets on your other basses? Playing position is very good and the Combustion is well balanced. You'll have to shorten your strap a bit because the rear strap button is placed higher -- on the bass side of the bridge. You'll also likely have to adjust your right hand technique because of the low action and lighter gauge strings on the Combustion. Although I haven't abandoned my Lakland, the Combustion is my bass of choice for a hi-tech sound.

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    In fact, I'll go a bit more in-depth using a string calculator.

I just assumed the 45-105 Fender string gauges & the Circle K 46-106 balanced gauges (except using D'Addario's claimed string tensions):

I realize these numbers aren't entirely exact, but a fanned fret system, while still decreasing that max tension gap, is drastically improved with a balanced set to go along with it.

18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I was amazed how easy the Dingwall was to play - - I'm still not convinced enough to buy (that might have something to do with the price...) but it felt great to play...

19. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I don't expect you would have any issue at all.

I regularily jump between the following with no difficulty:

Dingwall ABII-5 (37"-34")
    Rob Allen MB-2 (35")
    Sadowsky 24F5 and Fender P5 (34")

PRS Custom 22 and other guitars (25")

Mandolin (13")

It is amazing how adaptable the human brain is.

Later
    Rob

20. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    How about flats? Anyone play a Dingwall with flats?