1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Lee Sklar Sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This bass fascinates me but it is too expensive for me to dwell on too much.

Tbone76 likes this.
  2. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I feel your pain, doc.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    No pain, just curiosity about a cool bass!:thumbsup:

4. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have consistently been underwhelmed by Dingwalls when they are in my hands. Great basses but the sound leaves me cold. The best of the bunch was my Super P5.

metalstorm and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I will confess that the time I played a Dingwall Combustion at Bass Central, I did not think its B string was better than the 35" Yamaha TRB II I had the time.

6. Slapndbayass

Slapndbayass

Nov 9, 2016
    Sort of ironic that along with the expensive bass in Lee's hands, check out the guitar player with the Tele @15:15. I met this incarnation of Toto in 2008. Tony Spinner playing the Tele showed me his guitar of choice during soundcheck, a $100 knock-off he scored from some luthier in the Southeast of conus. Meanwhile Lukather had Bob Bradshaw as his personal tech on tour with him and the complex amp system Steve was using.

Toto Sound Check in Indianapolis - July 16, 2007_1 - Copy.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    DuncanStan and seang15 like this.
  7. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    The Combustions didn't impress me either. The Canadian models did, though. Be it the AB-I, AB-II, Sklar Sig. or Super-P. Fantastic Basses.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. I should have picked up an AB-Z when they first hit the market and were far more reasonably priced - at less than half their current price of $$3,010 IIRC for a 5-string which is in the realm of a new, well-speced Mike Lull M5 or PJ5-25, there's simply no contest in my book.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Slapndbayass

Slapndbayass

Nov 9, 2016
    These are tight and very woody sounding basses built to stand out on a track..

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dingwalls make great basses. Just not for me. Tried a few of them. I don't see any advantage with the fan frets. At least for me there was none.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know how you feel, but I really dig the Sklar, P5, NG2, really intrigue me.

12. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    As I mentioned, my favorite was the Super P5. It did have a nice woody feel, was very even, and had a good B string (actually better than the handful of 37" Dingwalls I've tried). The main problem I had with it was a feeling of compression, almost like the bass was too forgiving and even-sounding. When I dig into a Fender-style bass (even the boutiques), the instrument grunts, clanks, rattles, and in general sounds angry. The Dingwalls take the attack and stay smooth and clean, which I don't like. When I whack a bass, I want it to clank and complain. In a live mix, the Dingwall sounds like a compressor was put on it, so it is wonderful for being supportive, but not so good for the snap and bang that I sometimes want.

seang15 likes this.
  13. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    I guess that's exactly why Lee loves his Dingwall (and why I love mine, too).

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I getting paid real money to play, especially record, I would by a real Canadian Dingwall.

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    A 5 string ABZ starts at $2570. It can easily crack $3k if you add in a few high price options, but it's also pretty easy to avoid those options and keep the price low. I kind of find it hard to believe ABZs were ever $1500.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The drummer in my new band has a Dingwall. I think it's great, but once I get to the 12th fret, I am out to lunch.

guitarded and Dr. Cheese like this.