1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall NG-2 Impressions. I felt the earth move... and I'm not in Alaska.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB5, Nov 30, 2018.

1. KB5

KB5 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    So I decided to stop by the Music Zoo today at lunch. Absolutely my favorite guitar/bass shop of all time. If you are ever on Long Island you owe it to yourself to stop in. Just be warned it could be a very costly visit. Loads of Fender and Gibson Custom Shop and Limited edition goodies and a slew of high end brands.

I saw on their website that they have some new Dingwall NG-2's in stock. I have been dying to try one sine they first came out. There were three on the rack. I picked up the Lamborghini Orange five string to try out. I was immediately impressed after just a little noodling around unplugged. A helpful salesman asked if i wanted a cord to plug in. Of course there was a Microtubes 900 right under the bass and it was plugged into some delicious Bergantino cab. Holy crap this bass and head should only be sold as a package. I have never in my life played a bass and amp that were so meant to be together. There was not a bad tone to be found anywhere. The salesman dialed in some grit at my request and I think the tone nearly sliced his face off. I'm not even kidding. There was some serious angry god of thunder s4!t going on right there. I was about to quit my job, leave the family, and join a metal band. \m/

On a slightly more serious note this bass offers some amazing tonal variations. The series/parallel tones were polar opposites and equally musical. I am about to commit herasy and put a tone capsule in my Tobias I was so impressed with the pre-amp. Those little tiny banjo frets felt amazing too. I never would have thought I would like those skinny little short frets but I loved the feel. The multi-scale thing was not even an issue for the most part. Below the 12th fret it felt very natural. Above say the 14th fret and things started to feel a little weird to me. Not impossible just odd. I could easily get accustomed to it but I found that i had to really concentrate when trying to rip some high speed runs up high on the neck.

I could only find two negatives on this bass. One is somewhat minor and the other could be a biggie for some. First, that cosmo black or what ever they call that pvd finish on the hardware just looks cheap. That's the same finish they use on $20 flea market "fashion" watches. It makes the bass look cheap and at $1800 it isn't. Put chrome or black hardware on it please. The second complaint is also hardware related. The Hipshot Solo individual bridges have some seriously sharp edges on the saddles. If you play with a pick and anchor on the bridge you better invest in a chain male glove for your right hand. I mean those corners are insanely sharp. i don't know if these are a "licensed" version of this bridge but I have not seen these sharp edges on other basses using them.

If it wasn't so close to Christmas I would have walked out with that bass. I still have non-buyers remorse and it took every ounce of strength to not let them talk me into the zero interest financing thing they have going on. If I was a gigging rock or metal bassist there is zero chance I would have gone home empty handed. All I am left with is some serious GAS.

On the other end of the spectrum I felt it move for a Tony Franklin Precision. Crap that bass was sweet. Frettless with rounds...Schwiiiing!!!!!!!...Hipshot bass extender...Schwiiiing!...fretless mwah and zing...schwiniiiig, schwiiiing!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    wmmj, Tony Rotella and pedroims like this.
  2. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    I just saw these on Andertons All About the Bass series, and after checking Zzounds and Sweetwater decided to see if anything was posted here. Seeing that they are already in the wild means that they should be on the sites I mentioned soon. At least this gives me something to plan to do with next years bass money since there's nothing left for this year (and really some of the next thanks to installment plans)...