1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall NG-2, Not your average token lefty.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heavy Blue, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I was out of town last Tuesday & went to one of the local L&M to check things out.

Being a lefty, quite often it's usually the situation that there's one token lefty bass and 9 times out of 10 it'll be a Squier of some sort (which is fine, I have a VM Jazz that I regularly play).

Either way I go in and what's there today? A Dingwall NG-2!

Holy crow! I asked Dingwall years back (before the Saskatoon factory burnt) if they made lefties and at the time they didn't.

Either way, it is an amazing player and now I have savage GAS lol.

I have some questions though.
    What's the consensus on tone? Can one get a vintage sort of tone with it? I was going there to see if they had a player series Precision.

Strings. Who makes flats/ground wounds for a 34"-37" scale?

Durability. Does it age well? Hardware and such.

Resale. Any? This one could be a collectable of sorts. It's the first lefty that was made for NAMM.

Any other feedback appreciated. Normally I wouldn't have any chance of getting something like this but it's been there for awhile so they'll rent it to me and 1/2 of what I pay out in rent will go on the purchase should I choose to buy it.

Pics of course. Really like the colour too. Don't like garish colours like on a lot of Dingwalls I've seen.

Attached Files:

TolerancEJ, kobass, CharlieC and 4 others like this.
  2. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’d hurry back and do whatever it takes to get that bass. Kind of sounds like it was meant to be.
    Did you play it? Was it to your liking as far as feel and tone ?

If so , forget those other concerns and get it.

3. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I absolutely loved it! I always thought the whole fanned fret thing to be a bit of hype but it really makes a difference when one has smallish hands as I do. I was feeling rather anxious on Tuesday so I really didn't get into the groove like I usually do or explore the tones too much but it was still such a treat! I'm just wondering if a P-bass type tone is in there anywhere? Thinking not really.

I still have to get used to a fiver and moving everything "down" a string after playing nothing but fours. Even if I can't get used to it I'd restring it E-C.

The rent option is something I'll do first. Excited now doesn't mean greatness down the road plus then I can use it with my rig and the band to see how it goes. I've owned really good gear before that in the long term I just didn't bond with. Also need some time to use it with my amp just to see the tones I can get. Amp is a Mesa WA that I've had for over a decade.

But yeah, sometimes I have a feeling it's meant to be cause normally this would be unobtainium (I'm on disability) but the rent option makes it a possibility.

lowdownthump likes this.
  4. KB5

KB5 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    I think the NG-2 is an amazing bass at a pretty good price. They can be hard enough to come by in RH so if you like it then grab it quick. LH NG-2's are as common as unicorns. I can't imagine wanting to put flats on one. Though it is pretty flexible in regards to tone it was really purpose built for hard aggressive rock and is exceptionally well suited to it. I have never seen extended range flats either. For some reason flats are in vogue right now and I don't really get it. I think it's a fad like tort pickguards. Some have elevated it to a fetish. If you love flats I'm not sure this is the bass for you.

As far as 5 vs 4 is concerned I think some people over think it. A 5 is more than just a small extension in low range. It allows for greater ecconmy of movement. I have been playing 5's pretty exclusively for 25 years and don't ever have an issue playing a 4 string when required. I'm not really sure what the issue would be. Play a 5 for a while and you start to approach songs a little differently as far as fretboard position goes. Oddly I love playing a 4 in drop D because it makes me think and write from a different perspective.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  5. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    That is an awesome bass and totally worth looking into. I've always wanted a Dingwall and I'm waiting for the right time to get one.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  6. Bassgeer

Bassgeer

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    I have a righthand 5 string NG2, great bass! In terms of value for money it is very well built, plays well, and stays in tune. Fretwork is nice and smooth, and the fanned scale is fantastic to play on. It feels more ergonomic than my 34" standard scale basses.

The range of tones is quite impressive and the Darkglass preamp gives good control over the mids, so you can make it sound as aggressive or as thumpy as you want.

If the tone is still a bit too modern for you, you have the option of moving the "middle" pickup into the "neck" position, as these basses come pre-routed with three pickup positions. This will give something closer to a more traditional jazz bass sound, whereas the standard setup is closer to a stingray. A new pickguard to accommodate this can be ordered from Dingwall for a nominal fee.

Due to the wait time to purchase a Dingwall, and the rarity of lefthand models, the resale on this will be exceptional.

Hope this helps, and hope you decide to join the Dingwall club! They really are incredible instruments.

Heavy Blue and lowdownthump like this.
  7. The NG2 comes with the Darkglass Tone Capsule which is a big plus if you like the sound of DG electronics ... sounds like you like it and found a rarity ... run back, and get your hands on it!

This is Nolly Getgood, and and his sig NG2:

Dr. Cheese and Heavy Blue like this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Is that the only left handed Dingwall, or just the first ever built or both?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Heavy Blue likes this.
  9. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I've been playing Dingwall basses for 7 years. Multiscale aka "fanned frets" is definitely NOT hype. As to your questions:
    1) On a NG2, solo the neck (front) pickup and you will get close to a P bass tone;
    2) Dingwall does not make flatwound strings (yet) - But Payson strings does - both flats and ground wounds
    3) You can buy Dingwalls that are 20 years old and if they are taken care of they hold up as well as any bass on the market
    4) The demand for Dingwalls is increasing as guys like you discover the true advantage of a multiscale bass, especially the long scales (37" B) that Dingwall makes. So they do have good resale value compared to run of the mill basses. And there are very few Dingwall lefties out in the wild.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  10. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Also, I would encourage you to string it B-G before trying E-C. One of the main advantages to a Dingwall is the tight and piano-like B string. There is simply no other B string that can even come close to a 37" B. And it plays well up to the 12th fret and beyond.

11. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    They just started producing lefty NG and Combustion basses as of this year: the prototypes were showcased at NAMM.

Heavy Blue, lowdownthump and Linnin like this.
  12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    What's the consensus on tone? Can one get a vintage sort of tone with it? I was going there to see if they had a player series Precision.

You can definitely get a P bass esque tone be soloing the front pickup and backing off the hi mids on the preamp a good bit.

Strings. Who makes flats/ground wounds for a 34"-37" scale?

@Blues Cat makes great flats specifically for Dingwall basses.

Durability. Does it age well? Hardware and such.

Yes.

Resale. Any? This one could be a collectable of sorts. It's the first lefty that was made for NAMM.

Demand for Dingwall basses is currently so high (9+ month waits for imports like these and 18 months waits for Canadian builds) that resale is higher than any other bass brand currently on the market: in some cases close to full retail.

Congrats on such a great find!

Heavy Blue, lowdownthump and Waltsdog like this.
  13. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I called Sheldon about 5 years ago to ask him about a lefty option and he was very sympathetic but confirmed that they would not be making any lefty Dingwall basses anytime soon. This is amazing news to hear now.

14. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Wow-de-wow-wow! Fanned frets, 5-strings and LH? And it's not black! No-brainer. I urge you to do whatever it takes to get this bass, you lucky SOB. :thumbsup:

15. Nah that’s not an ng2 in that video. It’s an old video when he was using the standard combustion which has a different pickup location and emg pre
    Basically nailed it right there.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  16. You better get that NOW before every Lefty on TalkBass calls that place.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I'm guessing the OP drove into my local L&M which is about a ten minute walk from the shop. I wouldn't be too stressed about getting another Dingwall in the shop.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  18. I've owned a lot of basses and feel the NG-3 is comparable to any of the more expensive custom basses I've owned. The sound is somewhere between the bright EMG thing and the throaty Bartolini sound but the Darkglass pre makes it very midrangey in an wonderfully aggressive way.

It won't really do a straight up vintage tones like a P or jazz by way of the pickups and placement but , with some EQ , you can get close. I'd recommend it more for down tuned modern music like it was designed for. If you want a more modern sounding take on a vintage instrument I'd recommend an import Sadowsky or Lull.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  19. NaH

NaH Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I've seen P-Tone pickups that would fit, though you might need to check with the dealer as they are not on the Dingwall website.

20. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Yep! The north one off Circle Drive. I'm from Moose Jaw.

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. I'm gonna try to get it cause, yeah, it's an awesome unicorn that ticks off all the boxes.

Sorry for my delay in responding. No internet or wifi at home which illustrates why getting this will be tough. Very low income atm but I've decided to sell off my (6 string) guitar gear to help get the Dingwall. Bass is my primary instrument and I'm not much of a guitarist anyways plus my massive woodshedding efforts are finally really starting to pay off. I can finally slap and using a pick is coming along too plus my fingerstyle is at a whole new level! This whole thing is just serendipitous to me.

They are willing to rent it too so if I can't finance I can just rent it. What's the rules on posting guitar stuff for sale on here?

If I manage to get it I'm just going to play it as it is. I have just finally figured out how to slap so I've just switched back to rounds after a year or so of using flats. What's the string spacing on the NG-2?

Seeing many references to Darkglass products. I know nothing of them. I'm a Mesa guy as far as amps go so how are they compared to Mesa? I have an early WA.

Either way. Hopefully I can get back up there as soon as possible to get this rare gem wrapped up and brought home.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    lowdownthump likes this.