1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall NG2 4 sting question about string balance.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boy_Narf, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

Tried out an NG2 tonight and really liked it. The E, A, & D strings have so much attack/clank it's disgusting (in a good way haha). I've not heard an E string that sounds soo good in my life! The G string on the other hand sounded dead. Way darker than the other strings. I'm thinking it may have been due to a setup, but I'm curious if any other owners can comment on these findings. Are the strings generally balanced?

Also what is the consensus on these basses? I did a very in depth investigation and couldn't find a single flaw. Fret job was immaculate, and I love the all maple neck/FB as well. If I had to be picky, the pickup selector had a bit of play after the last pickup setting. I tried a super P about two years ago and would consider it the nicest feeling bass I've ever played (IMO of course). These ones of course have the wood shipped to China to be built, then shipped back to be inspected. I honestly don't care where something is built as long as it feels right. Lost of over seas instruments are finished pretty sloppy but this one seems top notch. Not sure it's great value, but the tone is just simply amazing. Also the dang thing doesn't come with a case.

Thanks,

2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I would guess that particular G string was dead. The scale length for the G string is 34", like most basses. Perhaps a lighter G string would compliment the timbre provided by the extra tension on the standard gauge size of the E, A, and D strings.

It is hard to judge a bass by it's shortcomings if it hasn't been set up to your personal specifications.

3. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Yea I think something was up with the G. At any rate it's a 7 month wait to get one, so I may start shopping around for other brands.