Dingwall NG2 4 String - light strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrdamo12345, Mar 27, 2021.

1. mrdamo12345

mrdamo12345

Mar 27, 2021
    Hello, im taking delivery of a second hand dingwall NG2 4 String next week. I really like light strings on my bass ideally 35-95 or there about. Has anyone any experience of lighter strings on this type of bass I.e. long scale with fanned frets.

If so, what variety have you gone for. I spotted the HI-Beams and Elite Stadium strings day are quite long but I'm not sure if long enough. I may just end up going for the dingwall strings but they are heavier gauge than I'd ideally like. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
    Damon

2. I don't play a Dingwall myself, but here's what I know about the string requirements.

DR "long scale" = 37.75" in winding length (ball end to taper) = should be long enough for the E string (36.25" scale)

Both the Hi Beams (stainless steel roundwound on a round core) and the SS Lo-Riders (stainless steel roundwound on a hex core) come in 40-60-75-95. These gauges should work well on a multi-scale because E and A are slightly lighter in tension than G and D on a standard scale to begin with, so they actually even out better on a multi-scale.

mrdamo12345 likes this.
  3. mrdamo12345

mrdamo12345

Mar 27, 2021
    Thank you very much for your reply. Some useful information there. Cheers

4. I have an NG3, see avatar. I prefer lighter bass strings. I have used the Payson Fanned Fret Medium Light Nickel's and like them.
    I got an email this morning, they are having a sale till 3/30. 20% discount with code: SPRING20. Payson Fanned Bass Strings NS Medium Light
    They would be 100/78/58/44, which is a little heavier than what you are looking for, but worth a try!
    Good luck!

5. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    I assume you mean you prefer 35-95 on a 34" scale.

The longer EAD scales of the NG2 will increase tension for those 3 strings. So to preserve the tension you like you would need to reduce your preferred gauges slightly, for EAD, or perhaps just EA since for D 34" -> 34.75" is not a big increase.
    So the closest tension match might be something like 35 55 70 90.
    The NG2 E is 36.25", so a string with a 38" winding length will probably just be long enough. A 37.75" winding length is more borderline and risky. Luckily many brands have 38" winding lengths, see Electric Bass String Winding Lengths by Manufacturer from FretNation.com

6. See posts #5 and #8 in THIS THREAD, where @husky123 confirms the DR Hi Beams "long scale" are long enough for a Dingwall 4-string.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022