For starters, I was completely satisfied with my 2015 NG2 I bought new from Sheldon a little over two years ago. Fantastic bass in every way! I already own a Z2, so I kind of had that base covered, and had previously owned a Z3 and loved it. Because of the pickguard, this is an easily reversible mod, so I reasoned if I weren't happy with the results, I could always go back. Sheldon offers two versions of the four way rotary switch if you are doing a 3X configuration. I decided to go with the D-bird switch as I've always wanted to be able to use all 3 pickups at once. I had to acquire a few parts for the build, here is what I wound up with: 3X rotary switch (D-bird) P-tone Dingwall pickup WD Music Pickguard (did not want to modify the existing NG2 PG) Qty (6) 6/32 x 1-1/4" socket cap bolt Qty (6) 6/32 brass wood insert Surgical tubing for bolts Router template from BestBassGear Painter's tape Two-sided tape Here we go: I removed the PG and made a careful tracing to send off for the new one. I had to extrapolate the placement of the neck pickup using a straightedge and the pickup itself. Parts for the build: Original screw vs. bolt and insert: Ready for the procedure. No dining room tables were harmed during the film: New pickguard lines up nicely with the original. I decided on black abalone: Notice the body was routed for either NG2 or regular Combustion. I believe the new body version with the rounded shells are already pre-routed for 3X for convenience. I used an extra fine tip sharpie to mark the area to be routed: Removing the neck bolts, always with a sense of reverence at this stage of any work: The wiring cavity, pre-molestation. Sheldon and crew do such tidy work! The volume pot and rotary switch had to be removed, both for clearance of the router and for ease of removing the existing rotary switch: Pickups removed, painter's tape applied to protect the finish from the more aggressive double sided tape. Router template firmly pressed into double sided tape. Exacto knife used to score the finish down to the wood prior to routing. Thanks to Thumpin_P for that tip!: Scary moment for sure. Had a nice rubber mat between the back of the bass and my work station to prevent scratches and unexpected movement: Short work. Sorry for the fuzzy picture, it was a surprising amount of wood shavings for such a narrow route!: Brass wood inserts installed with a bolt for clarity. A drill press with a depth stop would have been nice, but I used a cordless drill with a piece of tape to mark the place to stop before I created six new sound holes in the back of the bass: Surgical tubing applied to pickup bolts. Anyone who has taken apart a Z has seen these in use, brilliant compared to using springs actually. I collected the tubing from an old nebulizer I remembered we had. I measured and recorded the distance from the pickup to the top of the B and G side with the string fretted at 24 prior to dissassembly, so I set them at the same height they were at from the factory: The completed wiring harness. One part I left out was drilling for the neck pickup leads into the cavity. This was pretty tricky, but I did have a twelve inch drill bit the right size on hand for the job. I have to admit, soldering has gotten to be the most scary part for me, my eyes are not what they used to be, and the screw terminals on the rotary switch are much appreciated!: That's all folks! I placed the P-tone pickup in the middle, left the bridge where it was, and the neck pickup, well, remained the neck pickup. I played it at church today, I hung out on the P-tone pretty much all day, that will likely be my happy place. I used all 3 pickups for a louder tune at the end and can already see that will be a fun setting for a lot of my rock gigs. Total actual build time for this project was likely 3 hours. This was over the course of two days, running back and forth hunting tools, going to the store for a router bit I thought I already owned, and replacing one of the brass inserts that turned out to be the wrong size. Think it through, plan ahead, and go slow. This was a fun project, thanks for tuning in!