Dingwall NG3/Combustion Vs Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeadbeatLine, Apr 9, 2019.

1. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Hey all,

I'm close to reaching the point where I can finally afford to purchase a Dingwall NG3, a bass I've desired and been interested in for quite a while.

Up until now, my main bass has been a Fender Blacktop Jazz, which for those who are't aware is a Mexican Dual-P pickup Jazz bass, a pretty cool and interesting twist to your standard jazz that gives it a little more oomph. Infact, in general I tend to go towards fender-y sounds.

Now, the Dingwall isn't exactly cheap - and thus my paranoia about making 'the right choice' sets in. I've seen many a rave review on here about how Dingwalls are far and wide superior basses that completely blow fenders out of the water, but in terms of the sound of a Dingwall Combustion (or Dingwall NG3 with the bridge and neck pickups selected) compared to a good Fender Jazz or Fender PJ (American for arguments sake), how do they differ? Does anyone have any sound clips comparing the two? (with the same amp EQ, bass settings, etc)

Am I barking up the wrong tree by looking at a Dingwall to fill a role as a 'Super Fender'? Is it worth me just getting a nice Jazz or PJ (perhaps a Jaguar)?

I realise that these basses will inherently have different sounds to them, but its quite hard to find a direct comparison to see exactly how they differ without playing them side by side!

Eager to hear your thoughts and opinions (sound clips would be great too!)

2. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Anyone? Surely some of you must have played/owned both!

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    If you want a 'super Fender', I would look at Sheldon's medium-scale Super series. They do show up on the used market occasionally. If you don't go wild with upgrades, it wouldn't cost a whole lot more than a NG or Combustion to have one built for you. It would take about a year and a half, but believe me, they are well worth the wait. :cool:

DeadbeatLine likes this.
  4. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    I have seen these and they certainly are interesting in their own ways, but for now I'm mostly interested in the NG or Combustions I'm afraid!

5. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    An NG is not a super Fender. It’s a different animal, and if you’re expecting it to be a Fender but better, you may be disappointed. I would try out the ng3 and the super jazz with the triple pickup combo. One will speak to you more than the other.

Personally, for years I’ve lusted after various Dingwalls. But, when I play them, I’m always (so far) a bit underwhelmed by how they respond to my touch and how they work in the mix. I still dream about a DBird 5, but even though I’m not really a Fender fan, maybe there’s something about that Fender midrange that some modern designs lack. Maybe. And yet...

T Bassman likes this.
  6. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    I think you wont really know what it will soynd like till you play it with a band. Thats when you can hear how the bass sounds in context with the other instruments. To just play it in store or home by itself wont give you any indication of how it will really sound in a band context. That has been my experience.

scottic2, selowitch and DeadbeatLine like this.
  7. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Interesting that you say about the mids. I play a lot of alternative rock and modern prog metal using relatively high gain 'darkglass style' distortion (all the usual suspects style-wise; think periphery, karnivool etc). Because of this I'm really drawn to where the high mids sit on fenders with the tone pot wide open and relatively fresh strings, as opposed to something like a musicman stingray which I find very trebley (i.e. the high mids are 'too high'), and a thunderbird which I find quite honky (e.g. 'too low').

The NG/Combustions are very well known for their usage in such genres and styles, and by extension their high mid clank, which is what drew me to them. With this explanation of what I'm vaguely looking for, does this change any arguments/opinions somewhat?

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022