Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall on my mind...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbanks, Dec 19, 2003.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm thinking of buying a Dingwall Afterburner 5ver. [​IMG]

I'm finding that the GT-7 wears my left hand out after 15 minutes or so.(I'M STILL KEEPIN' IT!):) Don't have that problem with my 4-strings and its not a problem with the 5vers. However, none of my 5's qualifies as a main bass. And I've become addicted to the low-B. I like the looks of the Dingwall and the Novax fret system SHOULD make for a easy playing bass. Plus, I like the name...

2. They are great basses.
    If you do a search you'll find a handful of us here w/ Dingwall basses. From tricked out 6 string Primas, to Ab2's and fretless Afterburners.
    You'll have no problems w/ the Novax fretboard. It takes all of 10min to feel real comfortable and since the necks are essentially flat they play like a dream. Of course the B string kills.

You might wanna check out Ebay there is a 2 tone 5 string Ab up right now. Looks great , Of course a blueberry Ab5 is also righteous.

Lastly, while i do think the name is cool, I'm not sure i would have liked it as a kid. (no offense) its just not italian enuf.
    frank

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, that's the stuff. I'm gonna make a move after The New Year (barring any more of Life's little jokes...)

4. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    If you are going to order to your specs be patient. Took 18 months from the time I ordered it until it arrived at my door. Long time but worth the wait.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I hope to purchase a 'floor model'...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice of you to start a Dingwall thread, when I am considering one as well.:D Saved me some trouble.

I have a question for you Dingwall players. Do any of you that play a fretted Dingwall play a fretless bass with a normal fingerboard and scale length setup?

The one thing that I am concerned about is my fretless intonation. I have a Zon fretless, and it is not going anywhere.

I want a great 5 string that can be tuned ADGCF. Seems like the Dingwall would work very well for that, with the 37" B string. But, I am worried that it might jack with my intonation when playing fretless, and I can't afford to buy 2 Dingwalls, at least not for another couple of years.

So, anybody have any experience along these lines? Anybody in the Dallas area have a Dingwall I can try out? I have never played one in person, but have heard nothing but great things about them. I told Gard I was looking for a great 5 for around $2K, and he said that in his opinion Dingwall was the way to go.

7. embellisher

Wasn't my intention to hijack the thread either.:)

If I do go fanned frets, it will definitely be Dingwall. I just need to get my hands on one and play it for a little while.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

<b>Looks like he has the experience with the fanned frets, and builds a beautiful product. I'm going to try to get my hands on one too, although I currently only play fretless, and don't necessarily see changing that. But, a Novax piccolo bass or baritone guitar has a tonne of appeal to me.</b>

9. Ibanks- That Dingwall on Ebay is still there as of today. I have no idea what his reserve price his. But its a floor model and I've seen a few online retailers carrying Sheldon basses. i suspect you can get a floor model.

(sorry to Hijack the thread as well)
    Embellisher:
    I live in Houston, thats the best i can do. I've let other Dallas-ites play my basses.
    To my knowledge i have not heard of nor read about a Dingwall owner or retailer in Dallas. There is a Dingwall retailer in El Paso (not that it isn't a hike)

As to your other Q? I play a fretless Dingwall and then play standard fretted basses (while my new fretted Dingwall is being made- sold my first Fretted Ab5)). I've found very little problem transtitioning between the two basses. The only niggle w/ the Novax board is when you play above the 15th fret the angling is steep and hence you'll have to look to ensure your not at the wrong spot. Other than that its like playing a "regular" bass. In fact the angle between the 3-12fret is almost parallel (7th fret is parallel).

When you first start playing a Dingwall you'll notice that string tension between all strings is equal-thats the first thing that jumps out, the second is each and every note on the fretboard is pronounced and articulate. The sustain is amazing, and the neck appears much shorter than 37 inches would lead you to believe.
    Not sure what else to tell you. These are great basses and the Ab series at his price point is a fantastic buy.
    Now Ivan's Prima or Geoff's Prima basses, those are different stories. Those basses sound and act different from the Ab's.
    frank

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, I've found a few in stock. And I'd like to get it new, if I can. Haven't had a new bass since we got the Ripper in '76...

11. Ibanks- The Dingwall on ebay is new.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    If its still there after the 1st, it will be bid on...

13. embellisher

Thanks for the info, and the offer. I might arrange a meeting with you after the first of the year, or with Jay. I am not sure exactly where he lives, and if he is any closer than you.

14. embellisher

Has anybody played an ABII? Bubinga neck, mahogany/bubinga body. I wonder what it weighs.

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Suggestion: Drive down to Houston, meet with FCM3 and hit a music store or two in Houston (Rockin' Robin, etc.), then hoof it over to Beaumont. Jay's been over at my place with his Dingwall before, and we will twist his arm to do it again. I'd have the big rig stacked up and ready, and you (or you & the mrs.) would be welcome to put our futon to some use that evening. For that matter I could drag out the grill and issue a call to any other TBer's interested in a mini GTG...

:)

16. Embellisher,
    I have played an ABII with the bubinga/mahogany body. I don't recall it weighing any more than the ABI and in fact, if my mind serves me right, it seemed to be a little lighter. It really is a great deal for the money, not that the ABI isn't. I am really thinking about getting a fretless ABII 6 String now.

Geoff

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Dingwalls got my baby!

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    The closest Dingwalls to Dallas are the two at FCM3's house. He let me play both of them last year, and it an experience I will never forget. I never knew strings could feel so RIGHT. there was no tension difference between the strings, and that felt oh-so good.

Mark