1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Dingwall will sell you new (rounded) pickup shells. I had them sent to Mo (Nordstrand Audio) and he installed Nordstrand pickups in those shells.

The_Owl and Peter Lufrano like this.
  2. John Marat

John Marat Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    Went into the studio for the first time with my Z3 loaded with big singles. Here is a sample of the results! This my first time recording with a Dingwall I'm very happy with the results.

3. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Growly

John Marat likes this.
  4. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    What was the signal chain?
    There seems to be a lot of room sound, so I'm thinking either a mic'ed cab or an amp-room plugin.

Either way, sounds great!
    I really like the "angularity" of the music - it's got a bit of a Shellac vibe, but not quite that abrasive.

5. How much does it cost for the empty shells?

6. John Marat

John Marat Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    The chain is Dingwall > EAE Longsword > Source Audio Nemesis > Arkham Zephyr preamp > Crest Prolite 2.0 > Greenboy Basic 15.
    The recording chain used a 421 on the cab into a Greatriver pre. We also used a di in between the Zephyr and the power amp. We had originally planned on using the Zephyr di. Unfortunately it ended up being very noisy.

7. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Had a bit of a glamour shoot with the Combustion. Wanted to fully show off the pickguardless look.

20190906_181808.
    20190906_181426. 20190906_181723. 20190906_181733. 20190906_181808. 20190906_181824. 20190906_181853.

8. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    Can't recall, sorry.

9. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Whalepool looks awesome. I've got one of the charcoal burst combustions coming, a 6-string set up F#-G

BuffaloBob4343 and Flabzilla like this.
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Dingwall has shipped shells for two NP-4a's and a Big Split to Nordstrand for me. Ridiculously cheap. IIRC, $10 or $20 in each instance. Just talk to Jeff.

The_Owl likes this.
  11. Thanks. I'll know what to do if I decide to go for it. Still waiting on a reply from the pickup manufacturer.

12. Tankdave

Tankdave

Dec 2, 2009
    Wilts, UK
    I have a Quilted Whalepool Burst Combustion due to land anytime soon and I certainly like the idea of removing the black pickgaurd.

I have the 2PU version of this bass coming, so I assume the body will have the middle PU routed out under the black guard?

I guess I could get an empty PU shell and put a "dummy" in the mid position?

S-Bigbottom and BurningSkies like this.
  13. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go... Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Or add another pickup? :D

14. Will a hardshell case for a thunderbird work for a d-bird?

15. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    That’s a killer signal chain - good mic preamps make a huge difference, and that Zephyr + Greenboy Basic seems like it’d be a modern B-15, just with TONS of headroom.

16. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Finally got my AB1 back from the shop with a fresh nut and setup so I was able to really get into it. From the Combustions I've played I notice the Canadian has an "openness" or "complexity" to the sound that is new for me. Can't quite put my finger on it but I like it!

My one gripe right now is I've gotten too used to the way the D-Bird hangs on a strap - I really like how it's more upright so even with a really low strap setup it plays so easily. The Afterburner really wants to hang horizontally, if that makes sense, and I'm not a huge fan of that. W

the bass hanging horizontally I've got to have it strapped really high to be able to do some of the big reaching/stretching I need, but slinging a bass high always makes my shoulders too tense. If I lower the bass to a level where my shoulders are more comfortable, the bass still wants to hang in the same horizontal position, which makes all the reaching/stretching on the fretboard a total pain.

All that said, I made the discovery that if I slide the Afterburners body to more of my side than directly in front of me it starts to hang in a position that suites me better. Maybe just my weird body geometry, but when I'm wearing it to the side it more easily falls into a vertical position so the 1st to 4th fret stretches that are all over my bands set.

Figured I'd share the experience.

LawDog likes this.
  17. Tankdave

Tankdave

Dec 2, 2009
    Wilts, UK
    Have you got the "extra" rear strap option, I guess not? It is designed to do just what you need.

18. ThisYouCanTrust

ThisYouCanTrust

Jun 10, 2019
    Not really.
    I have the same body geometry - I like my basses more vertical than horizontal if that makes sense.
    The rear strap shifts the bass to your right but it doesn't really influence angle.

EMoneySC2 likes this.
  19. EMoneySC2

EMoneySC2 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, that's what I thought the additional pin was for - reach reduction. And no, my AB1 does not have that pin in the back.

20. Maybe that depends on body wood/weight.

My ABZ naturally hangs headstock-high from the rear button.