Dingwall Owners Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Jan 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016

I think @pbass6811 may

pbass6811 and Tim Craig like this.
  2. retroXvertigo

retroXvertigo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore

Eye banging the one in classifieds too? Haha

3. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I have a Ferrari Yellow NG3 and had Pat Wilkins paint the neck. No problems for me, reminds me of a Rickenbacker neck?

4. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    Just out of curiosity, why a painted neck? I’ve only had one that was painted which didn’t feel like it had adhesive on it when sliding my hand, all others have been “sticky” (shame on me for buying them).

5. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
  6. floofmusic

floofmusic

Aug 22, 2019
  7. AB Nate

May 28, 2016
    Yeah. Saw that. Good for him if he gets it. These things top out about $1800 CAD.

floofmusic likes this.
  8. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I did it mainly for aesthetic reasons, I totally love the blacked out neck! I think it looks bada$$, especially with darker finishes! I guess I kinda lucked out in that A) my hands don't sweat that much, even when I'm really hot, and B) I've really only ran into a couple of basses that felt too "sticky". I feel like those were some of the poorly built basses I've come across in my "career."

The Blackout option makes the neck super smooth without being sticky at all and it doesn't feel like a gloss neck, even though the finish is starting to shine a bit.

If/when I manage to pull the trigger on a Z3, I'll probably go with Wenge/Wenge, since the Blackout option is no longer available, but I would've probably gone that route if it was still a thing...;)

thumbnail-248.jpeg thumbnail-249.jpeg thumbnail-250.jpeg

9. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I couldn't quit modding my NG2 lol.....I do not mind the painted neck, as noted, it reminds me of the 1979 Rickenbacker 4001 I used to own. The idea was to just paint the fretboard, but Pat Wilkins talked me into doing the entire neck. He did a marvelous job and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I did a complete thread of all the mods, it sort of gets derailed for a bit when some gents started arguing about messing up the intonation with variable string spacing, (SPOILER: it doesn't), but it's a good read nonetheless.

Dingwall NG2 to NG3 conversion

10. CJC6

CJC6 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I agree with pbass6811, “I totally love the blacked out neck! I think it looks bada$$”. I do think it would wear over time but to me, it feels just like the maple neck I had on my NG3 sixer. I’ve had a AB2 07 bubinga neck which was fantastic and I currently have wenge over wenge and it’s my favorite. No one does wenge like Dingwall. The bass everyone is looking at I owned for almost a year, I only sold it to snag a Z3. To be honest, I would love to get it back but I’m sure someone will purchase it before I can round up the funds. Below are some pictures I took 2 weeks ago. I was trying to get the red grain enhancement to show. It’s appears solid black almost always.

Attached Files:

11. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Agree on the painted neck, love it on my ABZ! I was one of the reasons I pulled the trigger on my first Dingwall :) F610A03E-377A-4BDB-B6E7-EBCEAD660771.jpeg

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I can't stand the feel of a painted neck, but they do look nice blackened. So...give me a Wenge neck all day long!

qtii3tgfhjiwpecgnrnh.jpg

RyoCanCan, TTA, muggsy and 4 others like this.
  13. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    So is that actually genuine?

14. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    What something is worth is what you can get for it when you decide to sell it. In this case, first generation Combustion? 1800.00 tops sounds right. Many improvements made on the Combustion line since this one came out.

At the same time, I just saw a 2004 ish AB1 six stringer in Whale Pool Blue finish up for 3000.00 and they will likely get it. Combination of rarity/value.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    What year...Looks like maybe post-fire 97-98? 5pc neck?

Yep. I don't bother with the fancy craft-made string tube. I use a glass 'tupperware' type container and just coil and twist tie them and drop them in. I have a couple containers marked with each bass and rotate through two sets at most times...one on the bass, one submerged. I get maybe 3 or so rounds out of a set of strings before they've lost elasticity and need replacement.

Every honeyburst I've seen or held has been that golden/yellow amber in the center to a cherry red on the outside.

This is the only reason I got markers on the Rastaburst and why they're at 5 & 12. I was playing a lot of gigs with pickup players and none of them could read the neck positions on my AB1 (pre-inlay days)...the fanning was only throwing players off even more.

Yeah, the center has more orange (aka red to the amber/honey) but the outside looks the same.

Well you don't know if you don't try. ;) Also there may be a premium on this one. It's a v1 with a very limited edition paint. Not too too many of these out there (Production numbers were lower then, and this wasn't a 'stock' color, it was a small batch pre-order)... So if someone really wanted a candy-green Combustion they don't come up regularly.

16. CJC6

CJC6 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I just got told “pictures or it didn’t happen” in a PM. Here you go!

Z3 amazingness!

Attached Files:

17. shade_1313

shade_1313

May 31, 2005
    I just hadn’t seen those early combustions before. I kinda want one for a custom project I had in mind, but I’m guessing they didn’t do 6-string Combustions at that point?

18. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

Dec 13, 2003
    Northern CA
    No, those didn't exist until 2018-2019.

19. Katoosie

Katoosie Chocolate is the best Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Is this your bass? Do you have more pictures of the bass and the bag?
    Does every dingwall come as awesome as this? Because now I want one.

Andyman001 likes this.
  20. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Yes it’s mine, got it last week from Bassdirect. ABZ-5, it’s my first Dingwall. Not sure about imported model but all the Canadian ones come with this gig bag and accessory bag. Here you go:

Attached Files:

Katoosie and Scott McArron like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021