1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dingwall owners, help me out, please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Dec 4, 2018.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have gotten SO CLOSE to pulling the trigger on a Dingwall about a dozen times. The design really intrigues me.

Here's my one major hangup.

I have to be able to dial in some classic passive tones.

No, it doesn't need to sound exactly like a P or J. But it does have to sound "woody" and "organic". Yes, I realize those are horrible descriptors. But they are all I could come up with.

Some basses, even in passive mode, just sound "modern". It has a lot to do with construction.

So, short version, can a Dingwall (specifically an NG3 5 string) "sound classic"? If not an NG3, is there one in particular (other than a Super P...I've got P basses covered) that does the passive thing really well?

I'm probably not going to drop 4 or 5 grand on my first one either. I'm fine with used.

Any comparison to other passive basses or general discussion of Dingwalls in passive mode is welcome.

Thanks!

2. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    anyone-anyone-bueller-bueller.

3. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Maybe with the preamp disengaged? My ABI is passive, and it'll do excellent P and J sounds in addition to the "P on steroids" of both pickups in series.

two fingers likes this.
  4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's really hard to get a good feel for the passive tones through YouTube videos.

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  6. I Don’t have a ng3. Mine is a NG2. Have debated doing the NG3 mod but dig the way it sounds as is. Dingwall actually sells a kit to switch the NG2 to a ng3 if you want. The NG2s and combustion’s are all already routed for 3 pickups because the combustion and NG bodies are identical.

I found Andy’s demo most useful when I was shopping because as I’m sure you’ve seen so many of the folks who play Dingwalls are playing metal. But Andy does country and funk and stuff so his demo was clean. I would basically refer to my NG2 As a nice mix between a SR5 and a P. It’s got some qualities of a stingray but it’s a beefier sound than a stingray imo.

As far as the super series vs combustion series. Obviously there’s a big price difference although I’ve seen a few super series basses sell used for “why I gotta be broke” prices lol. The downside to the longer 34-37” scale is the bass requires special strings because the winding length. I use Dingwalls 45-130 nickel set. But yeah if you want to use flats, tape wounds, or just want to be able to pick up strings from your local music store the super series would be easier to deal with. I order my Dingwall strings online. Was getting them from bass strings online and now I’m getting them from shome music which is also where I ordered the bass from. They were great to deal with and they always have Dingwalls on order so if you want a finish they have in stock or already have on the way you won’t have to wait to get it. Dingwalls sell so fast they can get way behind producing the basses. When I bought mine the estimate was like 8 months but shome music already had one on the way to them in the finish I wanted so I basically bought the bass when it was on it’s way to a store before it even got there. As far as the super series, if you aren’t able to grab a used one it’s a rediculously long wait to get any of their custom stuff these days. I want to say 18 months was what I heard most recently.

Also might be worth mentioning for you or others looking to get into fan frets without spending a ton of money. novax guitars actually sells fan fret conversion necks for fender basses now. Not sure if they’ll do a 5 string neck though.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    wraub and ELG60 like this.
  7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I have a passive ABI. I'm going to say "no" on the whole classic thing. The Dingwall just has a faster attack and an evenness across the strings that keeps it from being P or J like. I also wouldn't describe it a "woody" at all, and I will use that term pretty quickly with my P basses.

My Dingwall sounds great - no question - but it is a modern bass, not a classic one.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    markorbit and Bob_Ross like this.