Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall owners in Austin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fookgub, Nov 12, 2005.

1. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Here's my situation:

I've sold all of my basses (except my cheapo fretless) in preparation for my first "high end" 5-string. I had my heart set on a Dingwall Afterburner, even though I've never played one. I was going to buy it sight unseen, and hope for the best, but now I've got a bit of a problem. I played a few Roscoes recently, and they were spectatular. The price difference between a used Roscoe and new Afterburner isn't too much, so I'd really like to try an Afterburner now to make sure it's the one I want. Are there any owners of Dingwall 5'ers near Austin? I'd really appreciate the chance to try out someone's bass, even for just a few minutes. I know there are some guys in Houston and Dallas that have been very generous with offers to other TB'ers, but, with my current schedule, I don't think I'd be able to make it either of those cities anytime soon.

2. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Have you tried calling Glen @ Austin Bass Traders?

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    No I haven't. I didn't think he carried Dingwall, but it's probably worth a shot to call him. I talked to one of the guys at Bass Emporium yesterday, and he told me there were a couple Dingwalls in Austin, but I guess they're not on TB.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Try posting over at the Dingwall message board. You might get a response there...and Sheldon might have an idea.

5. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    A friend of a friend's dad i know has one. Im still tryin to find a way to get to play it though hehe.

6. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    haha, well let me know how it turns out.

By the way, I've seen you on here singing Yancey's praises before. I played the fretless he's got up at Bass Emporium, and it SMOKED! There some great luthiers all over Texas (Skjold and LeCompte spring to mind), but it's cool to know we've got someone like Yancey in our own back yard.

7. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Yea thats an awesome bass, a bit older one. Also the strings have been dead for quite some time. Im having a 6 made by him right now, should be ready soon. He is also thinking about making a fanned fret bass soon........

8. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'd be interested to see how that turns out. I was talking to another local guy, Chris Forshage, last week, and he was showing me pictures of a fanned fret bass he did a while ago. Had some interesting things to say about fanning, too. Anyway, he's got a kickin' semi-headless, semi-hollow guitar model, and some really nice archtops. Might be worth checking out his shop if you've never been by before.

9. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx

Yea i know Chris, hes a really really cool guy. Met him at bass emporium a while ago. He knows his stuff.

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well if you wouldnt mind the trip to Dallas, your more than welcome to come check mine out for as long as you like :)

11. Same w/ Houston... if your willing to drive
    i have 2 Dingwalls you can try. I know of 2 others in the Houston area w/ Dingwalls as well.

12. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the offers, guys. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure when I'd be able to make the trip. I've got family in Houston, but don't make it down there much. Anyway, if I do find an opening in my schedule, you can be sure I'll be sending out some PM's :)

Juneau, is that Skjold done yet? I'd love to check that thing out.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Not yet, hoping by around the turn of the year or so. Due to excentricities if you will, it cant be included in a batch of regulars so to speak hehe. It requires a bit more brainstorming and woodsheding than the average bass he builds, so it gets worked on while bodies are drying from spraying finish and things like that mostly. Im anxious, but it really isnt bothering me at all waiting. I have a damn nice bass already that Im more than happy with to keep me busy, and being at the shop as often as I am, I get to live vicariously through everyone else's builds :).

You can be sure, as progress is made, more pics will be posted, and a dual review by Pete and myself when its done. I want Pete to review it compared to his other basses, what all went into it that he doesnt mind sharing, and how the final product compares to his other basses in terms of sound, playability, ect. Thats my plan anyhow, will see what Pete says when I let him in on that plan lol.