Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dingwall owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Feb 27, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey fellow bassplayers, ive been looking at dingwall basses for a long time and as soon as I buy my new amp im really hoping to pick one up. Im thinking about getting a afterburner 1 but could you guys please post your comments on this bass. and basses around the same price range 1500-2500 CDN.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey!!!

You're headed in the right direction...it's a GREAT bass!

Without recapping all I've said about it, do a seach around here and keyword Dingwall. You'll see that I and a few others have posted quite a bit about them.

Also, go over to the Dingwall message board and run through the 'Basses' section...you'll see all sorts of feedback and pictures. Please also introduce yourself there and ask whatever questions you might have. You'll get plenty of responses and Sheldon himself will usually reply!

I bought one sight unseen and have no regrets about it. I've pretty much stopped playing any of my other basses, and have another Dingwall on order!

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I have an ABI 4 and an ABII 5. Love them both.
    We just finished a thread, in fact it still going because I just posted there before here. Sheldon the owner even has some comments there. It's RE: DINGWALL USERS. Better than rewriting everything.

4. I also recommend the search command for "dingwall".

There are a number of very satisfied dingwall owners on this board. Just read the comments.
    Then when your finished--read the comments and scan the photo over here
    http://www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/

5. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    I've owned a few ABI's and now play a Z2, but my Prima Artist is currently having its neck constructed...

I used to work full time at the shop, and now I'm down to casual / part time due to school. I worked mostly in the assembly department (but did my fair share of sawdustmaking at the beginning). I've assmebled many many dingwalls and put them through their paces before sheldon did the setups and I have to say, I really really love the tone of ABII's but prefer the look of ABI's... I think you can't go wrong with either, but my paranoia keeps me thinking that I sure do prefer the harder finish on the ABI's... (although its interesting... I think getting that first scratch on either would be devastating!!!)

the pickup switch is very versatile... you'll probably find a favourite position within 5 minutes, but give it some time and you'll find uses for all the others... For the first 6 months that I was playing a dingwall, I always used the series setting, with the bass and treble boosted to 100%... I have since learned to be a little more subtle, and I keep the eq flat, switch between the pickups often and touch the eq a tiny bit from time to time... every now and then I still go for that full ahead dingwall explosion, especially when playing whole notes tied over two bars.... there's just something about a low B, D, or C when it hangs in the air and doesn't decay like you'd expect...

take care... good luck on your search... I think that no matter what company you end up settling on, at the 1500-2000 range your now going to end up with a piece of junk... Obviously I'm biased because I love these Basses, but the people who buy them seem very fanatically attached to them...

one thing I havn't quite figured out yet... is why hasn't frank bought a Prima Artist yet?

JMK