Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall passive, sound like active?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Apr 26, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey guys - wanna buy a Dingwall Afterburner, but am concerned with passive basses in general, as every one I've had in the past year hummed like a mother thru my rig, even having had/run 3 different rig configurations.

Does the Dingwall do this at all? Gard assures me it doesn't and I trust him about it, just wanting owners' experiences to weigh in.

My current rig is just 4 EBS pedals and a tuner running on a OneSpot power adaptor, into a GK head and Aguilar cabs. Active basses are dead silent as expected.

Also, will I be able to match levels with my other basses simply by adjusting the pups' height on the Dingwall? That's all I ever had to do between my Warwicks, but then again they're all similarly equipped in the tronics dept.

I'm getting a Dingwall for my new fiver, no doubt, just wanna know if I'll need any extra boxes to make it play nice with its brothers'n'sisters =0)

2. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    as the guy who actually does the shielding and pickup work, let me give you my official opinion that these basses are QUIET. the control cavity is totally shielded, as are the pickup coils themselves and the pickup leads. the FD series pickups are all hum cancelling due to their coil and magnet orientation. (I'm not sure if this is a trade secret, so I won't go into great detail here... also, its pretty boring technical stuff)

I'm not sure that its possible to make a bass any quieter than what we've been doing. but it all comes down to your road test. will you be able to hook up your rig to it and try it out?

jmk

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I won't have more than the 48-hour test drive period on the bass as I'm ordering it from a thousand miles away, but a minute is all i'll need to hear if it hums. Thanks for offering the insight from a wiring point of view. I never could figure out why my Thunderbird buzzed like crazy, or my Schecter which was active, now that I think about it!

4. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I came about an inch from buying an Afterburner I from Gard a few weeks ago, and I can attest to the fact that it was dead quiet. Believe me, you will not want to give that thing back once it's in your hands. It's definitely going to be my next bass, and the only reason I didn't buy it on the spot was that my current gig is with a British Invasion cover band, and it just wouldn't fit the vibe. If it had just been about me buying what I wanted, I would be playing and digging that bass right now...

Oh and to answer the question presented in your thread title, even the passive AB I had a very nice, hi-fi tone for a passive bass.

5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    those are the best passive basses ive ever heard, i like um

6. As the owner of 2 Dingwall basses, both were Afterburners (fretted and fretless). These basses are dead quiet. Great tonal options and the BluEQube is very musical and useful. On top of it everyone that has heard the bass swears its active from the output. Amazing tone, sustain, and clarity.

If you search in this forum for Dingwall sound clips you'll find a few clips from Sheldon D (Dingwall) on what the FD3 pickups sound like
    frank

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    You only need those extra gadgets if you just would like to have them but I got to try both of the afterburners at Basscentral and trust me it was real,real,real tempting to whip out the Visa and buy that bass it's one of the cleanest sounding basses with passive electronics that I've ever played, and the good part about them is that they are reasonably price for such a well made and good sounding instrument.